Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2013, 06:14 PM
MVP

Default Company of Heroes 2 - No crossfire or sli supported.

Crazy to think in the 21st century...

Company of Heroes 2

"We're adding this to our Techincal FAQs to clear up confussion.

Q: Does CoH 2 Support SLI/Crossfire?

A: Crossfire and SLI owners are fully supported to run Company of Heroes 2 with the latest drivers and application profiles. Conflicts with how our ColdTech works and how multi-gpu solutions operate introduce an overhead that exceeds the benefit of using the additional GPUs. After consulting with chipset designers we made the decision to have them disable support for multiple GPUs."

The game runs some pretty low fps on one gpu setup.

Guess I won't be buying any future games that use this ColdTech in it.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old June 26, 2013, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hahaha there is some good double speak right there. Can't believe it's in the same paragraph though. Blows my mind how stupid marketing guys think people are.

Quote:
Q: Does CoH 2 Support SLI/Crossfire?

A: Crossfire and SLI owners are fully supported to run Company of Heroes 2 with the latest drivers and application profiles. Conflicts with how our ColdTech works and how multi-gpu solutions operate introduce an overhead that exceeds the benefit of using the additional GPUs. After consulting with chipset designers we made the decision to have them disable support for multiple GPUs."
Old June 26, 2013, 08:56 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Hahaha there is some good double speak right there. Can't believe it's in the same paragraph though. Blows my mind how stupid marketing guys think people are.
Yeah, I know eh? Pretty much a yes or no answer...if you ask me.

"Q: Does CoH 2 Support SLI/Crossfire?"

Answer ----

"Crossfire and SLI owners are fully supported to run Company of Heroes 2 with the latest drivers and application profiles." (SLI and Xfer users ----> celebrations ensues )

Yet another line says -

"After consulting with the chipset designers we made the decision to have them disable support for multiple GPU's" (huh? wtf?)

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old June 27, 2013, 04:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I was looking to potentially pick this game up, but as one who runs an sli setup to help drive a 2560 x 1440 resolution I will not relegate myself to using just a single card and losing a bunch of performance due to lazy programming.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:30 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I just sent an email to our contacts at Relic to see if we can get some more info about it.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

We fully support the disabling of SLI and XFire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I just sent an email to our contacts at Relic to see if we can get some more info about it.
Curious to see how they respond.
Old June 27, 2013, 08:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

To be honest the game is bugging me right off the bat. Whenever I start the game the screen flashes like crazy and all I can hear is the audio so the workaround for now is just to play it on Window mode. It did that in the beta but the solution to it was just to spam-click the game until it goes fullscreen, sadly it seems the trick doesn't work anymore.

I have major respect for Relic but since the marketing is done by SEGA, you can blame SEGA for making a confusing statement as saying :SUPPORT SLI/XFIRE BUT NO MULTI-GPU
Old June 27, 2013, 09:11 AM

I don't know why but Relic dropping the ball makes me REALLY sad. Homeworld, CoH, DoW....all of their games have typically been released bug-free.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I don't know why but Relic dropping the ball makes me REALLY sad. Homeworld, CoH, DoW....all of their games have typically been released bug-free.
Have to agree with you, I've played all of Relic's games with the exception of Homeworld,Impossible Creatures and The Outfit. My favorite to be honest is between Dawn of War: The Dark Crusade or Dawn of War: Winter Assault. I'm a big TAU player so them adding Tau made me buy their game day 1 :P

But ya usually it's bug free day 1 or at least no unplayable bugs, they did patch up CoH2 yesterday though (with no release notes however) it could be because they had a deadline and couldn't finish QA or something.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:21 PM

So I have feedback now from AMD and NVIDIA. The game is heavily CPU bound and adding another card won't (in most cases) make much of a difference anyways. Thus, to ensure multi card profiles don't get in the way of performance, everyone seems to have agreed that SLI / CF should be disabled until a time when Relic can build in some additional CPU optimizations.

Still waiting on Relic's response.