Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2013, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
So lesson learned... if you bitch enough on the internet, they'll listen... it's far from a victory though.... people are afraid of change (just look at Windows 8) they complain and complain about the slightest little things (OMGZ NO START BUTTON WAAAAAAA) the problem with this decision is that it still doesn't help people who don't have an internet connection. YOU STILL NEED ONE TO ACTIVATE YOUR GAME! For those who have an internet connection, they get penalized by not allowing to play their games anymore without the disc and now you can never ever share or resold your digital games.

Next thing they'll say :
Pretty sure they were 100% clear it would operate as any other console - use the disc, don't worry about any "activating". And digital games have never been resellable...
Old June 20, 2013, 06:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Pretty sure they were 100% clear it would operate as any other console - use the disc, don't worry about any "activating". And digital games have never been resellable...
Actually it says so on their site:
Quote:
After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again.
I suppose I got confused between activating each game and activating a console, but it still makes a valid point, you still need one in order to actually use it.

Also that's what the Xbox One was so interesting, it'll be the very first thing to allow digital games to be resold. Unlike Steam, Origin, GoG etc....
Old June 20, 2013, 07:02 AM
Allstar

Unless I missed something isn't there still the biggest issue with having the camera and audio on at all times even when the unit is powered off?

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 20, 2013, 07:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Funny how people are still going to knock Microsoft on this one even after MS listened to the consumer and completely changed two of their major restrictions. How many times do companies ever do that (especially companies in the gaming industry ...chough EA cough)
+1 on this... can't please anyone it seems.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

The reason I titled the thread 'pulled a 360' alludes to the idea that Microsoft pulled a move that took out what consumers didn't want, while also putting a question mark on features that consumers were interested in, like the discless playing and family sharing. Personally though, the discless playing doesn't bother me in particular. I know on PS3 downloading the data to the HDD accelerated things immensely, but in the realm of what was being reverted here, I'm going to still cal it somewhat of a small fish point. And if I'm to be completely honest, the whole family sharing idea is more suited to Nintendo, not Microsoft - but it was an interesting step in an interesting direction.

Also, they didn't completely take out the creep factor nor the $100 price tag disadvantage to the superior powered (on paper) PS4 - which is being seen as the good guy here, and perhaps, rightfully so.

I think that Microsoft is somewhat listening to developers while lending an ear to customers at the same time (which is great), but it's going to be hard to strike a balance. Also to the posts right above me, the thing is they should have listened to customers before the whole fiasco started. I'm glad they reverted the decision but the stigma is going to be haunting them forever now.
The marketplace for games can be seen somewhat shifting to the indie devs, which isn't tapped on consoles that well at all. It's going to be interesting to see how things proceed from here. I think Microsoft is in a strangely unique position to accommodate the already pretty well ingrained (and quickly rising) indie dav community on PC towards its console as well. Though of course, that bring up Steam as another factor that's beyond the scope of this thread.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Unless I missed something isn't there still the biggest issue with having the camera and audio on at all times even when the unit is powered off?
It's on if you want it on, if you leave it on it will listen for "Xbox on" but it's not like it can record anything, considering the console is turned off (and if it were actually recording anything, anyone with a kill-o-wat could spot it in 5 seconds). The camera in particular is almost guaranteed to be off, and even if it is on, it's only passively screening for key motions (dno, do a backflip to turn it on maybe lol) not actually "recording" anything.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:38 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Individual developers/publishers will no doubt still be able to put whatever restrictions they want on their games, be it always on DRM or linking a copy of a game to one account, so at the end of the day, it's just marketing with no real impact.

Tags
console , microsoft , xbox