Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2013, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I wonder how this will affect games already in development.
I doubt it affects them much, it's probably a flag they just have to flip. MS would have made it easy I'm sure for the developers to integrate the drm into their games.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Problem is, that flag could be re-enabled at ant time in the future.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I liked the old model :( family sharing, discless play, no more stale and archaic disc swapping. But sadly, the status quo pushes on.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I liked the old model :( family sharing, discless play, no more stale and archaic disc swapping. But sadly, the status quo pushes on.
Yeah exactly, not sure why people are cheering for sending us back into the dark ages.

I suspect MS will re-launch this in about a year or so once they have some traction in the market.

They were basically launching Steam on XBOX, but I guess nobody put 2 and 2 together. Steam went through a rocky start on PC, but look at it now. People don't even think twice that you can't trade used games and that you need to be online to launch them.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Congrats to the gaming public for the outrage that forced Microsoft to shift its position. I, however, will still not be buying a One solely because Microsoft is hooked into the NSA's PRISM program. On principal alone I cannot do it. Add that to the fact HAL9000 is always collecting data in some form and Microsoft is legally obliged to lie about any data it collects under PRISM, the buy is impossible for me.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Congrats to the gaming public for the outrage that forced Microsoft to shift its position. I, however, will still not be buying a One solely because Microsoft is hooked into the NSA's PRISM program. On principal alone I cannot do it. Add that to the fact HAL9000 is always collecting data in some form and Microsoft is legally obliged to lie about any data it collects under PRISM, the buy is impossible for me.
YukonTrooper, I assume you live in the Yukon, so as a Canadian, can you explain exactly why you are worried about a phone surveillance program in a country you don't even live in? NSA may be stupid, but they aren't exactly monitoring every country which uses US produced gadgets.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
YukonTrooper, I assume you live in the Yukon, so as a Canadian, can you explain exactly why you are worried about a phone surveillance program in a country you don't even live in? NSA may be stupid, but they aren't exactly monitoring every country which uses US produced gadgets.
Truth be told, monitoring foreign communications is the NSA's primary roll. It's only the fact that prism captures data from US citizens which makes it newsworthy. So, yes.... It's safe to say that the NSA is using the assets of US corps to spy on foreigners.

The location of cloud storage facilities is very much a privacy concern as the US security apparatus has made it clear that they consider all data either stored on US soil, or controlled by a US company to be subject to US law as opposed to the laws of the originating country.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; June 20, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Funny how people are still going to knock Microsoft on this one even after MS listened to the consumer and completely changed two of their major restrictions. How many times do companies ever do that (especially companies in the gaming industry ...chough EA cough)

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 20, 2013, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Truth be told, monitoring foreign communications is the NSA's primary roll. It's only the fact that prism captures data from US citizens which makes it newsworthy. So, yes.... It's safe to say that the NSA is using the assets of US corps to spy on foreigners.

The location of cloud storage facilities is very much a privacy concern as the US security apparatus has made it clear that they consider all data either stored on US soil, or controlled by a US company to be subject to US law as opposed to the laws of the originating country.
But they only target "suspect" foreigners. If you aren't writing your own Anarchist's Cookbook, you shouldn't have a lot to worry about.

If YukonTrooper is worried about PRISM with his new Xbox, I sure hope he doesn't use Skype, Hotmail, Gmail, Facebook, Youtube, FaceTime, etc. etc. because then he's already been "spied" on. And I bet it will never impact his life in any way shape or form.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

So lesson learned... if you bitch enough on the internet, they'll listen... it's far from a victory though.... people are afraid of change (just look at Windows 8) they complain and complain about the slightest little things (OMGZ NO START BUTTON WAAAAAAA) the problem with this decision is that it still doesn't help people who don't have an internet connection. YOU STILL NEED ONE TO ACTIVATE YOUR GAME! For those who have an internet connection, they get penalized by not allowing to play their games anymore without the disc and now you can never ever share or resold your digital games.

Next thing they'll say :
Quote:
We removed the Kinect requirement and now sell it separately, the new price is 399$ While Kinect is 160$.

Tags
console , microsoft , xbox