Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2013, 01:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default G27 Racing Wheel

Well I did get the G27 Racing Wheel, as a father's day present - :)

BUT - I cannot get this thing to work?

I plugged it all in, it does spin around and the lights light up when it is plug in or the system reboots and there is a little green light on the shifter - but it does not function in any of my racing games.

I think there is an install problem. I get the following error message when I run the Logitech Gaming Software.

Windows Installer. V 5.0.7601.17514

msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]

Install Options
</package | /i> <Product.msi>
Installs or configures a product
/a <Product.msi>
Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
/j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t <Transform List>] [/g <Language ID>]
Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
</uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Uninstalls the product
Display Options
/quiet
Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive
Unattended mode - progress bar only
/q[n|b|r|f]
Sets user interface level
n - No UI
b - Basic UI
r - Reduced UI
f - Full UI (default)
/help
Help information
Restart Options
/norestart
Do not restart after the installation is complete
/promptrestart
Prompts the user for restart if necessary
/forcerestart
Always restart the computer after installation
Logging Options
/l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*] <LogFile>
i - Status messages
w - Nonfatal warnings
e - All error messages
a - Start up of actions
r - Action-specific records
u - User requests
c - Initial UI parameters
m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
o - Out-of-disk-space messages
p - Terminal properties
v - Verbose output
x - Extra debugging information
+ - Append to existing log file
! - Flush each line to the log
* - Log all information, except for v and x options
/log <LogFile>
Equivalent of /l* <LogFile>
Update Options
/update <Update1.msp>[;Update2.msp]
Applies update(s)
/uninstall <PatchCodeGuid>[;Update2.msp] /package <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Remove update(s) for a product
Repair Options
/f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v] <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Repairs a product
p - only if file is missing
o - if file is missing or an older version is installed (default)
e - if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed
d - if file is missing or a different version is installed
c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated value
a - forces all files to be reinstalled
u - all required user-specific registry entries (default)
m - all required computer-specific registry entries (default)
s - all existing shortcuts (default)
v - runs from source and recaches local package
Setting Public Properties
[PROPERTY=PropertyValue]

Consult the Windows Installer SDK for additional documentation on the
command line syntax.

Copyright Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 16, 2013, 01:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I did send a similar message to Logitech.
I'm trying to install this on the Win7 side of my rig not Win8.
I did read about a Logitech Profiler but cannot find that program - every time I look for that I get the install program that delivers this message.
I do have Logitech Gaming Software installed, clicked on the "LCore" app (the only app there) and it opens but tells me I do not have any logitech devices installed.
It does appear in my devices in windows devices and printers, troubleshooting says it is working fine, and I was able to calibrate it in windows.
But in NFS Shift or Dirt - it is not active.

I really wanted to play this game.

I even stopped my download of Battlefield 3 to reboot they system thinking that was the problem. And it was at 58% done after 14 hours of download - it will be started again tonight, should be done by Tuesday.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 16, 2013, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would try uninstalling all logitech software for it and uninstall it from device manager. Let it install when windows reboots. Try games.

These wheels have always been plug and play for me, I've never needed to install drivers.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That worked, thanks a lot. Just deleted Logitech Keyboard and Mouse in Device Manager and uninstalled the Logitech Game Software, then unplugged the wheel, rebooted, and just relied on windows. Installed OK.

I did find that I had to assign the throttle and brake in NFS even though it gave me a pre-config for a G27 - and I could not get it to accept the clutch - not a big deal because I'm a long long way from racing a standard. I'm also now fiddling with steering sensitivity. Tried it without steering assist - I was able to race with the gamepad without steering assist - but for now I need it for the wheel - it will come.

I'm glad it's working - bought it at a close out of a local store - no return to the store and it is a heavy box to ship back to Logitech.

Now to learn to virtually drive all over again. Maybe I should bite the bullet and go cockpit view with my new wheel eh?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 16, 2013, 07:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Update - while the G27 is working in NFS Shift2, I cannot get Dirt3 to detect that I have a wheel. Googled help all refer to the Logitech Profile program - which will not load on my machine because of a Windows Install Error. (Whole error message posted above). I did find a couple of general suggestions for that error - none have helped. I still have that error message posted with Logitech, see if their tech support people come through for me. Any work around to make Dirt3 recognize the Wheel without running the Logitech software?

I also understand that this wheel has force feedback - but when I hit the wall I don't 'feel' anything? Am I supposed to? I have the force feedback setting on 90% in the NFS set up.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Still waiting for Logitech to get back to me, they did email me saying the got my error message, asked a few questions, I answered them, I'm waiting again.

Found a 866 number for Microsoft support - for a fee ($99 to start) they will access my computer remotely and fix the problem. That's too much to fix a game.

I'm going to see if I can install this wheel in Win8. Then see if I can get a racing game to go in Win8 - Grid2 maybe? cheaper than paying $99 to MS for a fix.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 17, 2013, 10:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Win 8 Route

Decided to take my Dearly Beloved's advice and see if the G27 Wheel would work in Win8. So rebooted and WIn8 loaded the wheel just fine. I was able to download and install the Logitech Profiler software in Win8.

I'd found a Youtube of NFS Shift2 running multiple screens in Win8 so figured I'd try it. Loaded the program - updated with latest from E.A. and set the compatibility mode to Win7 and gave it a whirl and what do you know I've got a working system. While the wheel worked in Win7 NFS Shift2 it did not have the force feedback working - that works now. SO, now I have to start all over again - it's like a new game, and this time I'm going with the in-car cockpit view, see how that works.

The only thing odd is that I tried to reassign buttons in NFS options screen - it would not let me do that. Could that be because I'd set a NFS G27 profile in that Logitech program? Maybe? Anyway the default buttons work.

BTW - I'm thinking maybe there is a work around by creating a G27 profile for Dirt3 in Win8 but putting the profile into the Win7 directory and seeing if I can access that file from within Win7 - will post the results when I get around to trying that out.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 22, 2013, 12:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

So I did get another bit of advice from Logitech and it worked - sort of. Used my admiinistrator account (which is I'd created some time ago - curiously my main log in is as an administrator so this is just a different admin account) and they suggested changing browsers to download. Had I been smart I would have tried one, and then the other but I did both, logged in as the other admin and used I.E. to download the program - from a direct link from Logitech support. And it worked. i got past the Windows Installer error. (I"m thinking it is more the user settings than the browser but ???). Anyway, Logitech Profiler loaded. And I was able to launch NFS Shift2 from within Logitech's Game Profile program and it worked fine. So I can race in Win7 now.

BUT Dirt3 won't play with my G27. Created a profile in Logitechs Game program, launched Dirt3 and it did not recognize I had a wheel. Found this is common enough problem, but the fix recommended on line is to delete the G27 in Device Manager and reload. Did that. No go. Also found a recommendation to disable the power management feature on the USB Hub Roots - did that, still No Go.

I did stumble across some fixes for Dirt3 in Win8 so I'm working on that right now. Apparently if you first download a free game from MS Windows Games Lie called Tinker - then install Dirt3 it works (or at least some people report it works, and Toms Hardware recommended that work-around. So I'm getting Tinker now. (Again, day long download - sigh). Curiously that fix almost did not happen because M.S. Windows wanted payment for my bill of $0.00 before the download could begin. Gotta love automated check outs. I wonder what the exchange will be on $0.00 US to CDN?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 22, 2013, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really wish I could offer some advice but when I had my G25 I just installed the software and plugged in the wheel and everything worked with no issues.
It is very unfortunate that this has been so problematic. :(
Old June 22, 2013, 11:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
I really wish I could offer some advice but when I had my G25 I just installed the software and plugged in the wheel and everything worked with no issues.
:(
Same here, Its always just work and its been connected to a number of PC's