Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2013, 02:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow Opinions vs Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
You do realise that saying something has been blown out of proportion does not mean what is being discussed did not happen. He (maybe she?) is simply stating that in their opinion this is not as big of a deal as many in this thread and elsewhere are making it out to be.
Obviously I was not clear enough in my previous post. So I'll try my best to clarify my point.

To state that a matter is 'blow out of proportion' is making a knowledge claim about a given circumstance, so by following it up with (another sentence where the poster states) "IMO" is then disregarding a supposed fact and turning it into an (personal, non-fact-based) statement, thus contradicting themselves in mere two sentences. Plus, I do not see this matter being blown out of proportion. This topic is like fart in the snowstorm: here now, gone in 2 seconds. Personally, I just found it more amusing then concerning, since these day, very few companies and individuals have the integrity to acknowledge their mistakes.

Either way, I don't see anyone on this thread blowing anything out of proportion. This is no OMG thread. If it was an OMG subject, then you would see sites such as this one post it front and center. This simply calls into question the integrity of MS/game developer. I'm sure that if that Corsair case contained an AMD based motherboard and an AMD GPU, this thread would not even exist.

[Please don't start your response with something along the lines of: "you don't know anything about deadlines and trade shows".]
Old June 17, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
I'm sure that if that Corsair case contained an AMD based motherboard and an AMD GPU, this thread would not even exist.
Architecture of the hardware doesn't matter (as long as it is sufficiently powerful) with a pre-release build like they were running. I'm sure it functions somewhat as just a very poorly optimized PC game. It's made to run on x86 and possibly using DirectX (XB1 supports DX11/11.1 IIRC, even though it's pointless as DX just adds more software layers to lose performance with) so any PC can run it. AMD APU's don't have some kind of "proprietary" architecture. And there is absolutely nothing stopping a dev from running Intel, Nvidia, 3dFx etc. as MS has no control over it really. They just provide the dev environment.
Old June 17, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

The fact that they were running their games of PCs isnt overly relevant. The fact that they were running Windows 7 over 8 and high end nvidia hardware is why this story exists.

Its not so much that its surprising or bad, its just really amusing and more bad PR for Microsoft, as if they needed more.
Old June 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Obviously I was not clear enough in my previous post. So I'll try my best to clarify my point.

To state that a matter is 'blow out of proportion' is making a knowledge claim about a given circumstance, so by following it up with (another sentence where the poster states) "IMO" is then disregarding a supposed fact and turning it into an (personal, non-fact-based) statement, thus contradicting themselves in mere two sentences. Plus, I do not see this matter being blown out of proportion. This topic is like fart in the snowstorm: here now, gone in 2 seconds. Personally, I just found it more amusing then concerning, since these day, very few companies and individuals have the integrity to acknowledge their mistakes.

Either way, I don't see anyone on this thread blowing anything out of proportion. This is no OMG thread. If it was an OMG subject, then you would see sites such as this one post it front and center. This simply calls into question the integrity of MS/game developer. I'm sure that if that Corsair case contained an AMD based motherboard and an AMD GPU, this thread would not even exist.

[Please don't start your response with something along the lines of: "you don't know anything about deadlines and trade shows".]
Stating that something has been blown out of proportion is very much an opinion as it depends on the importance said person assigns to a particular topic. For example someone could not care in the least about privacy and as such could say that the whole PRISM thing has been blown out of proportion.

And while you may state that no one here is blowing this out of proportion (an opinion) the interwebs IMO are blowing it out of proportion. It's as if people want an XBOXone but now suddenly won't be getting one for x, y, z reasons and as such must now justify it to themselves (and the world apparently) so they won't possibly regret their decision.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Architecture of the hardware doesn't matter (as long as it is sufficiently powerful) with a pre-release build like they were running. I'm sure it functions somewhat as just a very poorly optimized PC game. It's made to run on x86 and possibly using DirectX (XB1 supports DX11/11.1 IIRC, even though it's pointless as DX just adds more software layers to lose performance with) so any PC can run it. AMD APU's don't have some kind of "proprietary" architecture. And there is absolutely nothing stopping a dev from running Intel, Nvidia, 3dFx etc. as MS has no control over it really. They just provide the dev environment.
Yes Sushi, I am fully aware of it. The point is the optics. It's like when you see Toyota car dealership use a Dodge van to deliver parts. It is all about the optics. I know and understand the reasons behind it, it's just amusing to observe these instances, that is all. (Edit) Yet it still ends up undermining the brand/product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Stating that something has been blown out of proportion is very much an opinion as it depends on the importance said person assigns to a particular topic. For example someone could not care in the least about privacy and as such could say that the whole PRISM thing has been blown out of proportion.

And while you may state that no one here is blowing this out of proportion (an opinion) the interwebs IMO are blowing it out of proportion. It's as if people want an XBOXone but now suddenly won't be getting one for x, y, z reasons and as such must now justify it to themselves (and the world apparently) so they won't possibly regret their decision.
I can see that we shall be going in circles on this one. So I'll just stop now.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; June 17, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old June 18, 2013, 08:45 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'm thinking this is a good thing. Develop games on the PC and then port them to the consoles :)
Old June 18, 2013, 09:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

the first thing that came to mind was HA-HA!
i understand why use a pc instead of a dev but why use a competitors hardware and previous gen software im sure the xb1 partners must be pissed as hell
Old June 19, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yes Sushi, I am fully aware of it. The point is the optics. It's like when you see Toyota car dealership use a Dodge van to deliver parts. It is all about the optics. I know and understand the reasons behind it, it's just amusing to observe these instances, that is all. (Edit) Yet it still ends up undermining the brand/product.
Sure, it can undermine the brand, but this has nothing to do with Microsoft or the XB1 - it's simply a developer who made the choices of what hardware to use. Microsoft didn't make the decision, the dev did. And if MS told the dev not to do it, then we would have some story about MS being hardware Nazi's. It's all just circlejerking and about how MS sucks and is evil when it isn't even in their control.
Old June 19, 2013, 06:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
This is exactly how I see it also.
Old June 19, 2013, 06:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Sure, it can undermine the brand, but this has nothing to do with Microsoft or the XB1 - it's simply a developer who made the choices of what hardware to use. Microsoft didn't make the decision, the dev did. And if MS told the dev not to do it, then we would have some story about MS being hardware Nazi's. It's all just circlejerking and about how MS sucks and is evil when it isn't even in their control.
I'd find it hard to imagine any kind of spin that would put MS into a bad light for ensuring that devs demonstrate their games on RL hardware rather than letting them demo them on supercomputers and then putting out titles that can't perform on the hardware they were supposedly displaying.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Tags
e3 2013 , xbox one