Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2013, 03:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Surprised? Not really, it's been years since they ran PCs to show off games, because we all know the console equivalent will either have framerate issues or bugs, so use something that's been proven through the decades and use a x86 reliable architecture to show off the game to prevent any unnecessary bugs or glitches. The only sort of bugs and glitches would be game wise and not console wise.
Old June 16, 2013, 04:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Surprised? Not really, it's been years since they ran PCs to show off games, because we all know the console equivalent will either have framerate issues or bugs, so use something that's been proven through the decades and use a x86 reliable architecture to show off the game to prevent any unnecessary bugs or glitches. The only sort of bugs and glitches would be game wise and not console wise.
This is what I suspected, and I'm kind of surprised everyone was shocked at PCs running the games. As far as Win 7 vs. 8, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a case of the machines having been built a half year ago or so (maybe longer) and just having installed Win 7 'just because' instead of a conscious decision against Win 8.

I would imagine that some of the Sony, Nintendo displays in either this E3 (or previous ones) probably ran on PCs as well, depending on how far along the consoles were at the time.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

They can do this and get away with it because people are already pre-ordering them and shows that they don't care what MSFT does.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've gotta play devils advocate and say I'd like to see some proof that the station shown was actually running an XB1 exclusive game... If it was running BF4 or something multiplatform, then it's not so bad. If it was just showing a video or maybe showcasing some multimedia features or something, then even less bad. If it was running an XB1 exclusive game? Weak, weaaaaaak. But I'm just not seeing the proof.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The problem is that they're not just taking themselves down, they're taking manufacturers down with them. Promoting win8 as a necessary response to low desktop sales and increased tablet sales is a self fulfilling disaster waiting to happen.

IMO desktop sales are low because there haven't been any game changing improvements to hardware in the last 4 years, and tablet sales fill a different need in the marketplace.
This needs repeating imo.

Edit: Check this out.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; June 16, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old June 16, 2013, 06:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I've gotta play devils advocate and say I'd like to see some proof that the station shown was actually running an XB1 exclusive game... If it was running BF4 or something multiplatform, then it's not so bad. If it was just showing a video or maybe showcasing some multimedia features or something, then even less bad. If it was running an XB1 exclusive game? Weak, weaaaaaak. But I'm just not seeing the proof.
You make a valid point. However, you have to realize that it is an "xbox one" gaming station with console controllers. So unless this is a smear campaign of some kind by Sony or Nintendo, this still looks bad. Look at it this way, if Chevy was advertising a brand new Impala with high-performance Continental tires, which on closer examination would turn out that it's just a Chevy body with a Toyota chassis and Pirelli tires they would be laughed out of automotive circuit.

Bottom line, this will not change anything because most people do not read these tech sites and of those that do, might only care about gaming and do not associate morals or ethics with their pastime activity...and MS will go on to sell millions.
Old June 16, 2013, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

At any rate, not a glowing report for W8 eh?

Though, I do feel for MS. I mean, how do you top sliced bread right? aside from your favorite spread that is.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Look at it this way, if Chevy was advertising a brand new Impala with high-performance Continental tires, which on closer examination would turn out that it's just a Chevy body with a Toyota chassis and Pirelli tires they would be laughed out of automotive circuit.
This is more like Chevy holding some kind of an event and finding out that one of the videos was shot with a follow car camera that happened to be a Ford - it doesn't mean that the car is Ford parts, it just means there's circumstantial evidence that Ford was used in the demo somehow.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:22 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Is this really a surprise...? Almost every "dev" kit shown at showcases are normally PCs, even more so since this gen of consoles are X86.
This is being blown completely out of proportion. It's incidental IMO.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So how does this work? Is the "dev kit" basically an emulator?

If so, it would make sense that hardware requirements would have a fair bit of overhead to allow it to simulate running on the actual native hardware. That said.... it's pretty poor optics to not even be using the same family of vid card.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP

Tags
e3 2013 , xbox one