Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2013, 04:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default G27 Racing Wheel

An IT shop in town is going out of business they have a G27 on for 60% off their price of $349 = $209 - which sounds good until I see NCIX has it on sale now for $199. But then I'd have no shipping.
But it is old stock. Do these things change over the years or is a three or four year old unit the very same as the one built today? I expect the drivers are all downloadable.

Picked the box up, this is a heavier toy. Much heavier than the $50 thrustmaster wheel that broke on me the first month I used it. But while it was working it was fun.

Not sure about use of pedals - getting used to the gamepad and controlling the throttle and brake with my fingers - using pedals might take a little more effort, I guess its more realistic though.

And I know I'm not ready to getting into shifting gears - I assume I can still select "automatic transmission" in game settings and by-pass that element of the game (I can come back to it later and learn how to drive a stick someday - been a few decades since I had a stick shift and then it was a '71 VW Micro Bus I had in my hippie days, not a racing vehicle by any means.

Any recommendations pro or con on this wheel?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 6, 2013, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not aware of any revisions, should be the same as the latest to roll off the line. I'm still sporting the G25 myself. I've completely modded my wheel and pedals, have it all hard mounted into a homemade racing seat as well as 3 lcds. Personally, I think they suck ass in stock form, vague feel and the small steering wheel makes it hard to drive well. I've gone to a 14" deep dish wheel, inverted my pedals and changed the springs inside. Next mod is to the shifter and I am gonna add a handbrake level. It's a disease, once you start...
Old June 6, 2013, 06:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default So take this as a warning . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Not aware of any revisions, should be the same as the latest to roll off the line. I'm still sporting the G25 myself. I've completely modded my wheel and pedals, have it all hard mounted into a homemade racing seat as well as 3 lcds. Personally, I think they suck ass in stock form, vague feel and the small steering wheel makes it hard to drive well. I've gone to a 14" deep dish wheel, inverted my pedals and changed the springs inside. Next mod is to the shifter and I am gonna add a handbrake level. It's a disease, once you start...
Oh dear - so If I tend to go overboard I might want to think twice about this, it could be just the beginning.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old June 6, 2013, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you should get that wheel!
I wonder how many people on the forum have wheels and are willing to use them. It would be cool if we could arrange some races sometime. That might be great fun. :)
Old June 6, 2013, 08:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

G25 owner here. Looking into mods. And hoping to win the lottery so I can get this: SimXperience Stage IV Motion Simulator Kit

If you like racing games, that's an amazing price for a G27. I'm so tempted to flog my G25 on kijiji and update.

I gave up on iRacing a year or so ago, but if you guys pick a game and a time I'll do my best to jump in. And not drive into you every lap.
Old June 8, 2013, 09:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

G27 is a good wheel and it don't have that dead zone us G25 owners have.

I'm thinking hard about this ClubSport Wheel Base US or a Thrustmaster T500RS just because of the Ferrari licence

Old June 9, 2013, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

I dont mind my DFGT at all, the wheel it self works well for me, the pedals are complete garbage but they arent modable like the higher end models and you do not really find pedals separate from a wheel kit. I will admit envy at some of those rigs. Not sure if I'd be willing to give up my PC for a cockpit though, do too much other stuff here.

From my knowledge they do not modify a wheel really from year to year, no vintages or anything of the like. A G27 from 3 years ago is essentially the same as one made yesterday.
Old June 9, 2013, 04:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
G25 owner here. Looking into mods. And hoping to win the lottery so I can get this: SimXperience Stage IV Motion Simulator Kit

If you like racing games, that's an amazing price for a G27. I'm so tempted to flog my G25 on kijiji and update.

I gave up on iRacing a year or so ago, but if you guys pick a game and a time I'll do my best to jump in. And not drive into you every lap.
$5632 Unassembled.... wow you need a lottery?

The ButtKicker Mini LFE SE is the first bass transducer purpose designed for use with SimVIbe.

serious stuff that gear
Old June 10, 2013, 08:40 AM
Allstar

G27 Here With Full race setup, And 3 24" monitors

AND Ebrake modded
Old June 10, 2013, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a heavily modded G25, never noticed this "dead zone", getting ready to do the e-brake mod and I do have a buttkicker.

Best mod so far for me has been a 14" steering wheel, really makes it feel like an actual car now.

Last edited by b1lk1; June 10, 2013 at 01:31 PM.