Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Honestly there's something wrong with Starcraft 2. I played Warcraft 3 for over 1000 hours (I kid you not) but when it came to Starcraft 2... it was... boring... seriously I'm not sure why I think of it that way. When I played Warcraft 3 I played it for the great story and awesome custom maps people made. Starcraft 2 has an OK story but the awesome custom maps aren't there.

I'm guessing it's because, I was expecting it.. When I first played a custom map in Warcraft 3 (I was 13 years old) my mind just blew.... the very first custom map I played was God's Land and AoS, i mean the map was completely different from the original Warcraft 3 Melee maps. So whenever I go on Warcraft 3 I simply jump into the Custom Maps section and see if there's anything that interests me. Then when the Frozen Throne came out and people figured out how to import models... it became even more awesome, some even became mini-mods. I stopped playing Warcraft 3 in 2011 because I had enough of the DOTA bs that spammed across the list, the host bots take the fun out of the game (bots that host a game, no interaction or anything.)

I honestly hate DOTA it's the most stupidest thing ever... literally it's a game of going back and forth and major unbalance (well in the early days anyway.)

So I try to find another RTS game that I'll like to play, so far I'm playing Company of Heroes and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and DoW2: Retribution. (For the Greater Good!)

Company of Heroes kept me coming back for more, because at how great the game looks even after 7 years, the special powers (Calling a V-1 rocket is so satisfying) the vehicle and cover systems (although I question sometimes how they misfire a lot) . It's as if it never aged, I remember almost every PC when the game came out can't even put this game on High settings.

Dawn of War is simply because I'm a Warhammer and 40k nut :P Relic did the 40k license perfectly, the story is great (until Dark Crusade and Soulstorm's RISK like campaign) the units look great, the only complaint is the online service (It uses Gamespy) they're some custom maps but they don't have a P2P connection so you have to actually download it off a website.

My favorite type of RTS is the base building type, so Warcraft 3, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Universe at War etc...
Old May 10, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is a God's Land arcade map for SC2 and DotA like maps too and tons of others. There's a full fledged RPG that plays like an MMO complete with voice overs, ffs. The SC2 editor is more powerful than WC3's. The maps just aren't as popular because WC3 spawned both Moba games and Tower Defence games and there are tons of those games around to play. The original Starcraft story/campaign was awesome. SC2:WoL was pretty meh until near the end. HotS was pretty good.

Last edited by headsh0t; May 10, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Whenever I try to start playing RTS, I get absolutely slaughtered by the players who have been diehards for years. Most of the games seem fairly elitist, it's nearly impossible to start as a newbie. Most of the people I know who play RTS don't play anything else, besides the occasional single player games.
And don't even get me started about MOBA games :P.....
Old May 13, 2013, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdickie92 View Post
Whenever I try to start playing RTS, I get absolutely slaughtered by the players who have been diehards for years. Most of the games seem fairly elitist, it's nearly impossible to start as a newbie. Most of the people I know who play RTS don't play anything else, besides the occasional single player games.
And don't even get me started about MOBA games :P.....
That's why Bronze league exists in Starcraft 2. Also think about if you'd never played an FPS before how terrible you'd be. Anyways, you got your 25 post count now off to the BST!
Old May 13, 2013, 08:47 PM
Allstar

seems to me the enjoyment of games is VERY very heavily related to how long your attention span is.

very ADD-types tend to vastly enjoy FPS games more, RTS are a middle of the line, and RPGs/TBS are for people who REALLY like 'math'* or people with alot of downtime and need to be entertained somehow.

this is all based on people I know in real life; what is everyone elses' experiences?

*the amount of work calculations involved in optimizing tech trees is MUCH, MUCH greater than the amount of effort in optimizing build orders for SC2.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
seems to me the enjoyment of games is VERY very heavily related to how long your attention span is.

very ADD-types tend to vastly enjoy FPS games more, RTS are a middle of the line, and RPGs/TBS are for people who REALLY like 'math'* or people with alot of downtime and need to be entertained somehow.

this is all based on people I know in real life; what is everyone elses' experiences?

*the amount of work calculations involved in optimizing tech trees is MUCH, MUCH greater than the amount of effort in optimizing build orders for SC2.

I gotta say I completely agree with you. Not sure of all the other rts games but SC2 kind of caters to the ADD thing. You stay VERY busy mentally and physically in online matches of sc2 but in general I think you hit the nail on the head there.
Old June 12, 2013, 11:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea i feel the same way, but i still enjoy to play them. I played sc2 alot back when it came out and thats all it is....rock paper and scissors. start game: build quick, expand keep pressure on opponent, then go in for the kill when you see that theyre getting weak. game over...