Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2013, 12:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Sims Vs Arcade - If it ain't Fun I ain't Playing

I just want to race around the track - but "realistically".

Since this posting a while back I have almost wrapped the original GRID - really like that game. Not crazy about the Drifting and don't like that Japanese up and down the mountain race. Completed most of the Drifts and some of those Hill races but not sure I'll actually finish it - only have about six left but not really enjoying them - if it ain't fun should I make my self play it to the end? I didn't buy Grid2 because they dropped that in car view. Only way to drive IMHO.

Shift2 is good - enjoy tweaking the car out a little. Quite enjoyable.

Downloaded the Ferrari Test Drive (bargain on Steam one day a while back) and it is all Ferrari. Graphics are not up to GRID or Shift2 level but still good and I think the physics are a bit more realistic.

Dirt3 is good - again, 'almost' wrapped it, except for the stunt driving parts, I'm not good at drifting / donut stunts and the like. Hope Dirt4 keeps the drivers seat view and more races, drop the stunts.

Just bought F1-2013 and now I'm seeing the difference. This F1 game is far less forgiving than any of the others, even on the easiest of easy settings, a little too much throttle and you're spinning out. Managed to make it through the "young driver" training. (Love to be called young at my age). Just getting started on this game.

Although my G27 has a gear shift I've never mastered using it. I did switch to Manual Transmission but use the paddles on the steering wheel to shift (which I understand is authentic in some of the modern race cars, especially F1 and other open wheel cars). Did try the clutch + gear shift but "if it ain't fun I ain't playing" and that was not that much fun. Might try it again later.

Is there an CART / Indy race game? I found one from 2002 by Codemasters but nothing recent???

I've thought about NASCAR but don't have it (yet). And some of the reviews were not kind to the most recent version.

Assetto Corsa looks interesting and is an "Early Access" game now on my wish list (waiting for the next big discount). ASSETTO Corsa on Steam

I wouldn't mind a game that is based on a weekend racer who fixes up an old clunker and races it at the local track on weekends. Could incorporate a bit of a financial side into the game, you'd only have so much money to spend, increase your budget by winning, but still have to decide - better carburetor or better tires? You get the idea. Anyone want to build that game? Dirt oval tracks to start. Anything like that already been done?

Other Moving SIM games:

I'm also just learning Train Simulator - not a racing game (although you get penalized for not keeping to the time table so it is a race against time). It is 100% Sim though. Similar to X-Plane which is again a real SIM game, with levels of realism. Apparently TS is the grand daddy of DLC with over $1,600 in available trains, routes and other stuff to download. The game itself cost me $9.99 on the Black Friday sale - but I've already spent over three times that on DLC and I don't have a lot to show for that. X-Pane is no slouch when it comes to DLC either - you can buy lots of planes and scenery. Never seen anyone total all the available DLC so it may compete with TS 2014 but who knows?

Thinking of trying out this Euro-Truck - wish there were more Canadian content in these games. (F1 does have the Montreal track). Train Sim - so far the only Canadian thing I've found is one engine but no Canadian Routes. love to see the Spiral Mountain in BC (or is that still in Alberta?). X-Plane does have lots of CDN content. Canuck-Truck would be fun to do a cross Canada haul. Any SIM- Truck drivers out there? Will be watching for a great sale on that product. It's on my Steam Wish List and Steam is good about letting you know when it is on sale.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 10, 2013, 01:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I wouldn't mind a game that is based on a weekend racer who fixes up an old clunker and races it at the local track on weekends. Could incorporate a bit of a financial side into the game, you'd only have so much money to spend, increase your budget by winning, but still have to decide - better carburetor or better tires? You get the idea. Anyone want to build that game?
StreetRod 1&2
Old December 10, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Shift 2 is okay stock, but I highly recommend modding the game. In stock form, the cars rotate weirdly. The center of the car pivots which is doesn't make sense. Also, there were many posts on Shift 2 saying that the tire pressure is way too high at stock.

You should give GTR2, from Simbin, a shot. There are so many mods for that game for tracks and car additions. Power and Glory mod for GTR2 is a highly recommended mod. There are lots of 60's racing vehicles.

If you like rally sims, I recommend Richard Burns Rally, modded of course! Google RBRSR2013 for mods. They have rally cars from the 60/70's all the way to current rally machines. It's a fun game if you play with a wheel, but not so much using a gamepad.

-Plato
Old December 10, 2013, 12:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You can also try Project Cars which I believe is being developed by the same team that made Shift for EA. I have it and its still in Beta but they have many tracks and many cars available and they update it a lot.
Old December 10, 2013, 01:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default antique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
StreetRod 1&2
Interesting - but something a little more recent than 1990

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Game Stock Car 2013.
Old December 10, 2013, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Street Legal Racing: Redline

It has damage:
http://www.poopr.org/images/ac897d4vsez1mjecyltf.jpg

You build your car/truck and engine in 3D part by part as you desire:
http://www.poopr.org/images/93ynd7d9xxczi6ymg87h.jpg
http://www.poopr.org/images/xwns7nhs4jgsumfkeu0y.jpg

It has police!
http://www.poopr.org/images/mrvegjnxiomjdvpv73e.jpg
http://www.poopr.org/images/xo50ixwf648hru3v79hq.jpg
(kids, this is why you do not street race and run from police)

And also mods that are not thirdgen Camaros. :P
http://www.poopr.org/images/7h9tt3wl6zfq9jfszu.jpg
http://www.poopr.org/images/3njg2kakekifwa1weapt.jpg
http://www.poopr.org/images/hr0ym9cjajiog4mhe77.jpg

I should say however it can be crashy at times if you load it up with a ton of mods or are using incompatible/badly made mods.
SLRR is not really a game where you just sit down and everything is perfect every time. But it can be quite rewarding when things are going well and your car is just right.
It is also best with a wheel and pedals imo, but I have not tried it with an xbox controller yet.

I hear there is an unofficial patch coming out soon but I am not sure what it changes.
There is a modding community if you like making your own mods.

Anyway, not a game for everyone but still a nice game that has features I would really like to see in other titles.
Old December 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gran Turismo 6.

Oh wait...
Old December 11, 2013, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm getting pretty desperate for a new driving game, built a sim rig and all I play is LFS and DiRT (the full length Pikes Peak course the most).

Project cars is crap, never worked right on my PC and now that they are on steam I can't even get it to load.

Race Room is all about micro buying everything.

iRacing is too hard to get into.

Ugh......
Old December 11, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

b1lk1:
As a person who tends to hate anything F1 and hate basically all modern or imports cars..... I have taken a liking to the Lotus Type 49 in Assetto Corsa.
The M3 E30 is sort of interesting with some setup changes I guess, but it is more fun to shift it clutchless than just the actual driving. I have not played with most of the other cars very much though the tattus formula thing is neat.

The main reason I bought Assetto Corsa was for the classic american muscle mods that should be coming along eventually. :)
It is 22% off during beta, so that is nice.