Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Companies focus on graphics because the hardware manufacturers make more money that way. Nobody would ever upgrade their systems if the graphics stayed the same while game depth improved.
I truly do enjoy a beautiful looking game though, so I don't complain too much.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdickie92 View Post
Companies focus on graphics because the hardware manufacturers make more money that way. Nobody would ever upgrade their systems if the graphics stayed the same while game depth improved.
I truly do enjoy a beautiful looking game though, so I don't complain too much.
Game devs (AAA) usually push the graphics envelope simply because they can. The only time you see GPU companies getting involved is to promote GPU specific features.

Though it is true that if game devs never pushed the envelope no one would ever upgrade. But that's just not realistic. What then would differentiate one dev from another? Story?

Competition is what drives the industry. Less so today, but there are exceptions. Just look at The Witcher series, Bioshock Infinite etc.

Though I still detect the taint of consolitis in these titles they are not altogether bad.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

I dont think so, companies push the graphics envelope because it is the most upfront and visual aspect of games, you can literally see the prettyness of graphics, you cannot see an impressive AI or story. Nothing to do with graphic card companies.