Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've had this discussion many times over the years. The fact is if a game dev cannot come up with a great story (I'm looking straight at you Mr. Yerli) they blame there is too much focus on graphics. I put this to you fine folks, since when did graphics become the measuring stick for a great story or for that matter proper sound staging and effects? Please, there is absolutely NOTHING stopping a talented writer from creating a great story or a sound engineer from going the extra mile too have the best possible sound in a game.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the fact that people haven't gotten this very simple fact. Great story+great sound+great visuals=great game. Simple. Caveat, you don't need great graphics to make a great game, that's not my point. But you certainly can't blame a poorly written game on the graphics engine. Or for that matter the desire to push graphics into the future.

I blame a poorly written game on the dev/writer(s). Not on the poor saps that spend thousands of dollars on high end video cards hoping to catch the wave of next gen eye candy.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Was this guy CEO during Crysis 2? The game with posted videos of people walking through entire levels without firing a single shot, yet without dying? Graphics are 60% of the game when that's all you have to offer.

Graphics, like most things, are a case of diminishing returns - the first 20% tends to get you 80% of the way there. I can't remember the last time I particularly noticed the difference between "High" and "Ultra" shadow settings, although I appreciate it when they're the same resolution as the object that cast them. Or the difference between 8xAA and 16xAA, although the first level or two definitely helps.

Sometimes I enjoy Far Cry 3. Other times, I enjoy Terraria.
Old April 27, 2013, 12:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Has no one heard of MINECRAFT!?!?
Old April 27, 2013, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Was this guy CEO during Crysis 2? The game with posted videos of people walking through entire levels without firing a single shot, yet without dying?
Yes. He was there right from the beginning. Crysis, Warhead and everything that followed.

Quote:
Graphics are 60% of the game when that's all you have to offer.
Well said. Succinct and on target.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
Has no one heard of MINECRAFT!?!?

I was waiting for someone to bring up this point.

While I agree with the general concensus that graphics shouldn't be weighted at 60% importance, my personal opinion is that they should be balanced completely with all things inclusive. I played minecraft for 2 weeks, and got bored of the retro style graphics. The gameplay was fun for a while but I got bored of the sandboxing anyways. Regardless I don't have an expensive PC to play 8 bit looking games.

Look at Skyrim. Graphic were pretty good at launch, (Better now) good story-line, good replay-ability, every facet of that game was good. And that's how it should be. It's a fallacy that there needs to be a sacrifice in order to attain a preference. Every measurable point can be well balanced in order to create an immersive experience.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

For minecraft,it's a bit different for me,i just play till i build an awesome house,diamond tools and a few cool machines,then i'm bored...
Old April 27, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that it is also funny in that older games like Diablo 2 LOD still have full servers yet the graphics are not good at all , also games like SWTOR graphics ae not that good but the servers are quit busy . I really noticed t hat the games with very good graphics are 1 very short game play and 2 just plain suck when it comes to story line . and the size of some of these games are just ridiculous like SWTOR is 20Gb and the graphics are not good . it seems that they are spended allot of money on the shiny new things and not spending nearly enough on story lines
Old April 27, 2013, 11:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Minecraft. Worst looking game around. Like drugs for my kids.
Old April 27, 2013, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I routinely come back to Thief 1 and Thief 2 for complete play-throughs. There's my dedication to graphics for you.
Old April 27, 2013, 02:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sounds like someone over at Crytek is using 60% of their intelligence.