Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2013, 09:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default The Evil Within

If anyone has been following Bethesda, they may have noticed some weird uploads on Vine they have been making.

Well, the debut trailer for "The Evil Within" just got released on IGN today.

Created by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami' game studio Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda, this looks like an interesting entry into the survival-horror genre. While I have never been a fan of Resident Evil, this looks like something I could play/piss my pants to/explain to my therapist as to why I don't sleep anymore.

No gameplay footage as of yet, but IGN promises to release some by April 22nd.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?
Old April 19, 2013, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure what the game is about at allot of shadows and some gore but what is the game about?
Old April 19, 2013, 11:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Not sure what the game is about at allot of shadows and some gore but what is the game about?
Gonna quote /u/Accipehoc from Reddit here:

Quote:
Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.
Sources:
1) NeoGAF - View Single Post - The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]
2) ?????????????????????Tango Gameworks????????????????2014????? - ????.com (In Japanese> Google translate will be your friend)
Old April 20, 2013, 02:02 PM
Allstar

honestly, that sounds like every horror genre game ever made. erring on the side of the really bad ones.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yup. New graphics techniques. New way to kill and be killed. Possibly Alice-esque. But where is the story? Every time your surrounded by ghoulish enemies you get a sense of insecurity.
Old April 21, 2013, 05:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Damn this is gore and...Evil Just a trailer tho,you may have more unicorns in the actual game