Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2013, 05:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Dumping Gamecube games

Alright as we all know the Wii U doesn't support Gamecube games and of course I'm planning to get one either late Summer or Fall.

So I've been looking at the Dolphin Emulator to play my games. I could use the PS3 Dualshock controller or get a GC to USB adapter. No way am I going to use a keyboard for a game that's meant on a console.

Any who that's a bit off-topic. The question that I want to know is: Can I dump Gamecube games to my PC, with my Blu-Ray Drive? I got an LG CH10LS20 Blu-Ray ROM Drive. I'm asking this since the Gamecube uses Mini-DVDs which I have never heard of any device outside of the Gamecube using this.

Thank you
Old April 17, 2013, 06:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Alright as we all know the Wii U doesn't support Gamecube games and of course I'm planning to get one either late Summer or Fall.

So I've been looking at the Dolphin Emulator to play my games. I could use the PS3 Dualshock controller or get a GC to USB adapter. No way am I going to use a keyboard for a game that's meant on a console.

Any who that's a bit off-topic. The question that I want to know is: Can I dump Gamecube games to my PC, with my Blu-Ray Drive? I got an LG CH10LS20 Blu-Ray ROM Drive. I'm asking this since the Gamecube uses Mini-DVDs which I have never heard of any device outside of the Gamecube using this.

Thank you
Nope, you sure can't.

There's only a few drives that can read GCN discs. Not only are they mini-DVDs they read from the inside out (reverse) compared to a regular CD.

There is a way you can rip them using the Phantasy Star Online disc, a GCN broadband adapter and a few pieces of homebrew, but I can't really remember the process. If you look up Phantasy Star GCN rip or something like that you might find the process.
Old April 18, 2013, 04:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Sadly I do not have the GCN anymore (traded it when the Wii came out), so I'm guessing the only option would be to get the specific LG branded DVD drives that can read Mini DVDs.

There were 3 ways of doing it, one was the exploit you said for Phantasy Star Online, one of these LG drives and use rawdump :
LG-8164B
LG-8163B
LG-8162B
LG-8161B

and finally using an SD card on a homebrewed Wii, so really my only choice is choice #2, now to find a store that still sells one >.>