Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2013, 07:38 AM
MVP

Default Multiplayer Networking & lag

Food for thought,I've missed kills due to this I think not just my bad aim only.Long article,here's a highlight.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...yer_Networking

"This screenshot was taken on a listen server with 200 milliseconds of lag (using net_fakelag), right after the server confirmed the hit. The red hitbox shows the target position on the client where it was 100ms + interp period ago. Since then, the target continued to move to the left while the user command was travelling to the server. After the user command arrived, the server restored the target position (blue hitbox) based on the estimated command execution time. The server traces the shot and confirms the hit (the client sees blood effects).

Client and server hitboxes don't exactly match because of small precision errors in time measurement. Even a small difference of a few milliseconds can cause an error of several inches for fast-moving objects. Multiplayer hit detection is not pixel perfect and has known precision limitations based on the tickrate and the speed of moving objects."
Old April 14, 2013, 10:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

This is why you try and find servers with 30 ping. Anything less than 50 ping is acceptable. Anything more is detectable (to me).
Old April 15, 2013, 01:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ah yes, the multiplayer servers, sadly lag will always exist and it's not going to improve any time soon. Most of the game developers have to use small "trickery" in order for multiplayer games to look like it's flowing normally. Sadly until bandwidth improves and of course the fact that if you play in say an Asian server, there's no way lag will perish.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

When I was bored outta my skull I used to join Japanese servers playing quake 3. Most of them have sub 10ms connections to all the servers in Japan... and they pay next to nothing for those ultra high bandwidth connections. Same is true in Korea.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.