Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2013, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So i've been playing the absolute crap out of this game and having a blast with it. Sure the side missions can be a bit repetitive but what mmo isn't? If anyone is playing hit me up on friends. Name is same as here in the forums NSdeadly1
Old April 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

giddy up. I love the grind in this game.
between mainline missions, there is so much to do.

you try any PvP yet? its a blast.
Old April 24, 2013, 12:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nope. Haven't got to the PvP part yet. I'll move on to that when i need a break from the PvE. They have obviously been checking out GuildWars2 because this has the same kind of feel to it.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:18 PM
MVP

Free weekend right now, and 30% off until monday.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Free weekend right now, and 30% off until monday.
Ohh nice, I'll check it out then and see if I want to buy it.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:34 PM
MVP

I have mixed feelings about this game. I *really* enjoyed the fundamental gameplay, but it has some glaring shortcomings:

- lack of content; especially variety and depth of arkfalls and other encounters
- repetition
- extremely poor quests and writing
- poor interface and chat

However, I really enjoyed:

- combat
- pace
- driving
- weapons
- arkfalls

Which got me to around Ego 1400ish before I couldn't justify investing any more time in such a repetitious game. In the end, I didn't feel like my character had evolved significantly. I had fun though.

I also liked that it requires no social investment, no commitment, and is extremely casual. It takes less than a minute to find action after you start playing and you can literally get up and leave any time you want. While I once enjoyed gaming clans/guilds/communities, I no longer have the time or energy for them. It's fun to play among and alongside other players without the need to share a single word. I think it's almost impossible to commit a faux pas other than perhaps killing skittlings in a crystal destruction arkfall or the spammy rocket/grenade launchers like the ground pounder.

Which reminds me: I never want to spend hours shooting a rock again.
Old May 26, 2013, 01:16 AM
MVP

Those are some good points Desiato. I generally despise MMOs, but this one pulled off some great fundamentals. Everything is fast paced, yet casual like you mentioned. Just go go go, more action and less talking.
I found the UI to be quite brilliant. It's quick, intuitive, yet simple. It's different from a lot of other games, which is probably why people find it difficult to get used to, but it makes a lot of sense.

To elaborate on the fast pace and casual aspects; you can instantly spawn your vehicle at any time and just zoom into battle. You login and then you're killing shit in 10 seconds.
Want to meet up with your friend? Just teleport to him instantly. No beating around the bush.

And they didn't let up on the combat either. It's not only fast, but allows for a higher skill ceiling of play. For example; there's a perk where you reload faster if you stand still. As long as you initiate the reload standing still, you can sprint away and still gain the benefit of the perk. This is great if you're running around with an LMG, shit takes forever to reload.

You'll also find the gameplay to be much smoother since most of it is client-side. Perfectly fine for a co-op game. Although this means it's easy to cheat, it doesn't really affect you.

I think the only downfall is the lack of content, which would also cover the repetition point. Great game otherwise. I've only played it for the duration of the free weekend, but I've tried all of the weapons now. I may pick it up, just because it's fun to just pick up and play with your buddies.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:29 PM
MVP

If anyone wants to do a 4pack buy, give me a shout, I need 2 people before the end of the sale. It'll be $32CAD each by EMT.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
If anyone wants to do a 4pack buy, give me a shout, I need 2 people before the end of the sale. It'll be $32CAD each by EMT.
IS the sale over? I am in for 1 really wanted to give this game a shot :)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old June 5, 2013, 10:57 PM
MVP

I grabbed 2 copies off amazon for ~$43 USD after taxes. Couldn't find anyone to jump in on the steam sale.
Also, this place is selling for for $36USD:
Defiance - GameFanShop

So they just added sieges to the game. It's kinda like an arkfall but you capture and defend. Apparently this will also be linked to the actual show.
Cool stuff. Really digging this game more and more.

GMG Defiance | PC game | Download discounts at Green Man Gaming
GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA
$24.60 with coupon

Last edited by YoungMan; June 8, 2013 at 08:07 PM.