Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Deus Ex: Human Revolution (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/60374-deus-ex-human-revolution.html)

IRQ Conflict March 24, 2013 07:28 PM

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Just started plying this a few days ago. Loving it. 12 hours in and I got to my first boss. I'm seriously not ready for that confrontation though. I tried to back out but my ride (chopper) was not there. So, I'll have to restart it. But that's OK, it will give me a chance to tailor my augs the way I should have in the first place.

This game reminds me a lot of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory sans zip line. Man I miss playing that. Buggy as hell on Vista 64bit. Anyone else enjoy this game?

Desiato March 24, 2013 07:41 PM

If I recall correctly, the first boss fight is won through tactics, not augs. The area you fight him in has everything you need to defeat him. It took me more than a few tries to figure it out.

Arinoth March 24, 2013 07:46 PM

Only downside to this game is that it'll crash quite a bit if you run it on an nvidia graphics card. Had no issues running it on a 7970, the minute I switch to nvidia and it crashes periodically. Oh well!

Killswitch March 24, 2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict (Post 698657)
Just started plying this a few days ago. Loving it. 12 hours in and I got to my first boss. I'm seriously not ready for that confrontation though. I tried to back out but my ride (chopper) was not there. So, I'll have to restart it. But that's OK, it will give me a chance to tailor my augs the way I should have in the first place.

This game reminds me a lot of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory sans zip line. Man I miss playing that. Buggy as hell on Vista 64bit. Anyone else enjoy this game?

Oh ya! I picked this one up through Steam for $5 or something silly like that. Great game! I got side tracked with Medal of Honor Warfighter, Borderlands 2, and a few other newer games, so I only have about 7 hours in on it, but I fully intend on finishing this one!

It's running smooth as can be for me on 7 64bit.

YukonTrooper March 24, 2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 698660)
Only downside to this game is that it'll crash quite a bit if you run it on an nvidia graphics card. Had no issues running it on a 7970, the minute I switch to nvidia and it crashes periodically. Oh well!

These were well documented issues. I had some initial stuttering and crashing problems on an Nvidia card; however, the right combination of settings made them go away. I remember I had to use a third-party Nvidia driver controller program (I think it was RivaTuner) in conjunction with the Nvidia control panel. Eventually I was able to get rid of all stuttering and use v-sync while maxing all settings. I enjoyed the game immensely after that point. The initial stuttering was very inhibiting to the experience.

From what I remember, the biggest change came from locking the refresh rate at 59Hz in RivaTuner. That basically got rid of the stuttering. Then, I forced vsync in the Nvidia control panel and set pre-rendered frames to 1. That's off the top of my head anyways.

muse108dc March 24, 2013 09:43 PM

I agree this is a good game. Boss fights are rubbish though, they play completely differently from the rest of the game, basically a prime example of how NOT to do boss fights, and really have little to do with the story apart from being the guys who attacked you at the beginning.

IRQ Conflict March 24, 2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 698660)

Funny, just after posting this I had a repeatable CTD. It was the "Lesser Evil" mission. Just before getting to the ball court, the game would freeze and I'd have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out of it.

I disabled DX11 then went back in. Got past the point where it would crash then re-enable DX11. It sure didn't like DX9 path though. VERY slow. That is the only bug I've come across so far.

IRQ Conflict March 24, 2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desiato (Post 698658)
If I recall correctly, the first boss fight is won through tactics, not augs. The area you fight him in has everything you need to defeat him. It took me more than a few tries to figure it out.

Yes, but I didn't even have level 1 armor. :haha:

On2wheels March 27, 2013 06:22 AM

Might be a driver issue, just find the right one. my 560ti ran it no problems. Yeah it's a good game for sure, just a shame the bosses were outsourced, The Missing Link DLC is better, and it's a standalone app. Should be another thread here on it.

SugarJ October 22, 2013 02:12 PM

The Director's Cut version was released today, supposed to fix a bunch of the boss fight stuff. Includes the Missing Link DLC content as well.

If you already own the original, the Director's Cut is only $9.99 on Steam. If you also own The Missing Link, it's only $4.99.