Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Bioshock Infinite

Anyone else going to pre-order this or are you going to wait for reviews? I am going to pre-order as I have loved the series from the start.

Seems they have done the same thing as Borderlands 2 and have a "Seasons Pass" for another $20 for the DLC to come.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I want it. But want a retail box. But only if it's worthy. Yes, I can afford to be picky.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've got it preordered, from the videos and stuff I've read about it I'm fairly confident in it. And I liked the original so anouther point in its favor.

What I'm most interested in seeing with this vs the original is the fact that Columbia is still a functioning, albeit failing, city/civilization. Bioshock was a great game but rapture was the city equivilant of a twiching corpse. The cataclysm had come and gone, in Columbia there will be people going on with their lives and to interact with and I think that at least personally it will deepen the story and make it more engaging for myself.

The wide open spaces with the skyrails for high speed movement will make combat quite interesting in comparison to the original. The additions of speed and agility should make things interesting

Elizabeth will also be an interesting addition, the last shooter to really have a companion was the Half Life 2 episodes and Alex was a great addition to it I think. I like how the story can be told through them to a degree and make it more personal.

So this one for me really boils down to the story for me and its potential is the reason I'm preordering.

Also on Steam if your undecided and do not yet own XCOM I advise you go that route, XCOM is a great game and as a preorder bonus.... stunning. Too bad I already own it, lets me get my physical box though.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
potential is the reason I'm preordering
tsk, tsk.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
tsk, tsk.
yeah I know and I've been bitten before by it, Mass Effect3 I am looking at you, but I do limit it to games I have followed extensively and have real reasons for expecting it to be a game that I will enjoy. And certain criteria is met, playable offline, minimal DRM, history of good games, nothing to do with EA, strong opinions from the developer team that I agree with.

Besides I traded in 2 games I got for free for it anyways so I wont be out of pocket if it does manage to flop completely. Which I really dont think it can, not like SImCity anyways.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:58 PM
MVP

I wasn't able to get into the original and therefore didn't try the sequel. I always felt that I was supposed to have enjoyed it. I enjoyed the gameplay, mechanics, story, but I think the palette turned me off.

Infinite definitely appeals to me. Perhaps I'll give the original a 10th shot before release.

The only turn off to me, like with most games now, that gameplay is impacted by pre-orders and collectors editions. That stops me from paying full price for most games out of principle; I end up waiting for a sale.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

muse, did you know that people pre ordering things encourages publishers to release garbage? There is no competition or drive to do better when they know x amount of peeps are willing to throw their money at them willy nilly.

I own boxed versions of ME, ME2 CE. Do I own ME3? No.
I own a boxed version of System Shock2, Bioshock and Bioshock2. The jury is still out on Infinite.

This and DD are imo the two greatest threats to progressive gaming. Did you know you cannot buy a retail version of Tomb Raider in North America?
Old March 18, 2013, 12:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

There is an argument for that true but the thing is reviews are garbage in my opinion, ME3 and Kingdom of Amalur both got amazing reviews and were both rubbish in my opinion. The thing is if the game is going to be good its going to be good, I dont think preordering has as much of a negative as you think, the number of preorders might encourage someone like EA to cut corners but I like to hope that some at least have a bit less stress pre launch. My rules are strict enough that I rarely reward bad games. There are only a few developers that I still preorder from, and only when the indicators are good and my criteria is met. I've been burned thrice, maybe 4 times, in the last 10 years with the few preorders I do. Its not like I just preorder willy nilly at a whim. Not sure how theres no competition due to preorders, they dont change the shape of the playing field at all, it is much more a store factor than anything else.

Colonial marines though, the lastest game that burned preorderes really had no evidence in its favor, people were going solely at it with what they thought it was. The press didnt play it until it was out already, thats never a good indicator. You just have to be smart and go on more than sentiment when preordering, or you will be burnt.

I will say this preordering has gone much too far in some regards, I think the next metro game has been up on steam for 3 years at this point and I'm willing to bet that EBgames is already taking preorders for the next starcraft game. And the different bonuses for each store that arent available post launch. I'm willing to preorder to play the game on launch day

Also I completely disagree with Digital downloads being bad for gaming, imagine if EB Games and the big box stores were still the only way to ever get games, and worst of all no Steam Sales. One of the best thing to happen to gaming ever.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
There is an argument for that true but the thing is reviews are garbage in my opinion, ME3 and Kingdom of Amalur both got amazing reviews and were both rubbish in my opinion.
Yes, this is true. I can't remember what game it was a few years ago probably, where a site gave a ridiculus 100% or 10/10 for a game that was a 6 or 7 out of ten.

Quote:
The thing is if the game is going to be good its going to be good, I dont think preordering has as much of a negative as you think, the number of preorders might encourage someone like EA to cut corners but I like to hope that some at least have a bit less stress pre launch. My rules are strict enough that I rarely reward bad games. There are only a few developers that I still preorder from, and only when the indicators are good and my criteria is met. I've been burned thrice, maybe 4 times, in the last 10 years with the few preorders I do. Its not like I just preorder willy nilly at a whim.
I may have judged your motives too harshly, actually I think I did. It's my age I suppose. Very cynical I is. I think I'm just pissed about what should have been the best years in gaming blown away by cronies and console kiddies.

Quote:
Not sure how theres no competition due to preorders, they dont change the shape of the playing field at all, it is much more a store factor than anything else.
What I mean by this is simply that if everyone pre-orders their games in anticipation of a good game routinely, then the devs and pubs know they don't need to make a AAA, just a AA (read beta) and everyone will be disappointed until they hear of a sequel that will be better (Hi DICE) than before. I don't mean devs like CD Project Red.

I think there will always be those wanting to do gaming first and money second. But those without the funding of the EA's of this world are few and far between. I see EA as a powerhouse of mediocrity, a juggernaut of samey and a vacuum of intellect.

Quote:
Colonial marines though, the lastest game that burned preorderes really had no evidence in its favor, people were going solely at it with what they thought it was.
I am not privy to this, but it shows the mentality of gamers and their seeming willingness to fund garbage. This is what I'm talking about. I know not everyone is that gullible, but I'd hazard a guess the vast majority are.

Quote:
The press didnt play it until it was out already, thats never a good indicator. You just have to be smart and go on more than sentiment when preordering, or you will be burnt.
Indeed. It seems the lamestream media are much more interested in the short term bottom line than long term reputation. With the kind of money they make they can just shut their doors and reinvent themselves next year if it's to hot for them.

Quote:
Also I completely disagree with Digital downloads being bad for gaming, imagine if EB Games and the big box stores were still the only way to ever get games, and worst of all no Steam Sales. One of the best thing to happen to gaming ever.
I'm not totally against the idea. I have some games on Steam and from GOG myself. What I am against is the direction of control and in some cases lack of modability and control with some games because of their integration.

DD for movies and music I love. Very convenient. Games? Some. I'll just give you an example, BF3. I have the boxed version, do you know how long that took me to install? I had to download the entire thing even though I have the DVD's, I have no idea why, nor do I care.

Nor does EA. This is (part of) the direction I don't like. BTW, have you noticed the parity between console and PC games of late? Somehow it now costs more to deliver your games without DVD's and boxes.

I know some of what I say is ranty, but can you blame me? Really?

Well, after all that, I have to say there is a silver thread in this cloud (pun intended). Companies like CD Project Red and DD like GOG give me hope. The fact that AMD is going to be inside the big consoles gives me nervous optimism.

Seeing AMD push tech like tessellation and direct compute physics all give me warm fuzzies. Here is to the future of honest and quality gaming!

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 18, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I will never, ever preorder another game after being bit by Crysis 3 and a few others which were either too broken to play on launch day or had issues unlocking when I wanted them to.