Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2013, 04:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Crysis 1

So, I updated my system a while ago and really wanted to see how this computer runs Crysis. I knew it would play the console port no problem. But Crysis and Warhead are a different set of games altogether.

Anyway, I am really pleased with the performance with everything cranked at 1080p. 4xFSAA still seems to leak though. By the time I got to the end level the game was using 4+GB's of Vram

Another issue was I figured I'd lock the frames down to rid myself of some tearing. It's pretty bad in this game. Quite often the frames would bounce from 40 to 100+ FPS. So I thought enabling vsync would be fine ate 30FPS.

I'm not sure how this game handles vsync but it never goes above 24FPS. And if I aim carefully it will go as low as 12. Something isn't right there.

But boy! Am I glad I bought this title when I did and am able to replay it. What a great game. I just wish they would have fixed those issues before moving on to Warhead. Now to test that game out.

Edit: Ah, might need to enable triple buffering... Anyone know the best (current) method for forcing triple buffering with DX10+ on a Radeon card?

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 17, 2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:25 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You'll need Radeon Pro. I don't think the latest AMD drivers have a triple buffering toggle.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I hope you applied some of the graphic mods available for Crysis 1 before replaying it. They totally change the game, making it far more realistic. The main thing I loved was that night was actually pitch black and you had to rely on your flashlight and night vision in order to complete the levels.

You should grab Crysis 3 though if you truly want to test your system. That is the pinnacle of computer gaming graphics once again.
Old March 17, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, thanks Sky, I did try to get Radeon pro to enable triple buffering. No joy. I'm not sure if it's because I am using the 64bit executable or not? I did make sure to point to the launcher (Crysis.exe) in the 64bit folder.

Yeah JD, I just wanted to play it vanilla first to compare it with my first experience on my old rig. What a difference! I will mod it and do another play through though.

Edit: Speaking of Radeon Pro, anyone know what this "SweetFX" tab is for? I did look into it at the Radeon Pro site but didn't find the info I was looking for. It tells you how to use it (sort of) but they don't tell you enough to get you started? I seem to be missing something.

Is it like a plugin of some sort?

Edit: In case someone wants to know, I found it. Not sure how I missed this yesterday.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 17, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

OHH Crysis! I started playing Crysis 2 and 3 on the 360 and I can tell that 3 will sure as hell put your system through the wringer
Old March 18, 2013, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Man I loved Crysis 1 and Warhead a lot. I am going to load one of them up on this rig I just built for a buddy (Core i3, 7870, 8GB Ram) and see how it flows. I remember playing it with the Natural Mod my 2nd or 3rd playthrough and loving what it did to the game.

I tried Crysis 2 on PS3 and I couldn't get into it. :\

Crysis 3 looks pretty sweet though. More jungle stuff which is really what I like about #1 and warhead. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 18, 2013, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wonder how it is Crysis 3 came out unscathed (apparently) from EA's blowtorch?