Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Amazon Yanks SimCity Download

Well, I didn't want to continue derailing? the Sim City 5 thread. So I'll post this here. Link

I sincerly hope this wakes EA the F(#$ up.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 7, 2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

and to think this all could have been avoided but having an offline component.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those idiots will never wake up.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Poor Maxis.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

The issue is not with the game.. its simply with the fact they grossly underestimated server needs upon launch time and got bit in the ass.. hard! Its been 2 days now and I still have issues connecting and even when I was the game would disconnect while IN game.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Indeed. And it all comes back to the requirement to be online 24/7 with it. Get rid of the draconian requirement and problem solved. It isn't Maxis' fault (the game). It is EA's fault (the shame).
Old March 7, 2013, 10:04 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Indeed. And it all comes back to the requirement to be online 24/7 with it. Get rid of the draconian requirement and problem solved. It isn't Maxis' fault (the game). It is EA's fault (the shame).
I don't think it's possible. If you look at how the game is designed, it's a multiplayer online game. There's no way in hell you can play by yourself offline because you need the other players in the region to interact with in order to make your city grow.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I don't think it's possible. If you look at how the game is designed, it's a multiplayer online game. There's no way in hell you can play by yourself offline because you need the other players in the region to interact with in order to make your city grow.
It's not at all hard to envision a single player only version of this game, and it's very apparent that there's demand.

Furthermore, it is a classic series that players have been enjoying single player for almost 25 years. The omission of an offline single player mode is an absurdity obviously driven by EA execs.

I think it may even be likely that a majority of Simcity players over the years use cheats to have fun building cities. The actual gameplay has never really been the focus.

It's probably only a matter of time before there's a server emulator that enables true offline play.

CliffyB can go give EA analysts a bj after sucking himself. I'd love to see EA die and its IP auctioned off.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Furthermore, it is a classic series that players have been enjoying single player for almost 25 years. The omission of an offline single player mode is an absurdity obviously driven by EA execs.
Bingo! But I assume that everyone that bought into this tripe was well aware of the fact? So I guess I can't feel too sorry for them. I hope those that supported EA's little romp into cronyland have learned something as well.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think an offline component is possible. Just allow the regions to run like they did in SimCity 4. Allow the player to jump between individual cities in a region on-the-fly and problem solved. That was actually only of my best memories of SimCity 4.