Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2013, 07:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ah Origin...... :(
Old March 17, 2013, 07:48 AM
Allstar

Last time I played SimCity was on my old 386. Maybe time for a look at the new incarnation.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Put that way it really drives home just how toxic EA is. After watching the soap opera that has been Bioware recently...

Its sad to think of what DragonAge and MassEffect could have been without the influence of EA. The focus on combat ME 1 vs ME 2 could be felt and it was even more so in ME3. And while combat is good and all it was the story that caught me from ME1. Dragon Age 2 and the expansion for DAO dont even need to be brought up I dont think.

Origin is sad because no more Wing Commander games.... I dont think I ever played any of the others.

C&C has lost all appeal for me

I could go on but I"m tired. EA kills anything it touches, I dont doubt that Crysis2 was influenced by them
Old March 18, 2013, 01:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The Dragon Age 2 demo was enough to make me run the other way. Haven't played ME3 yet. I loved 2. Head-over-heels for 1, even with all its mechanical flaws.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yup. I just wish my Dead Space 2 was as playable. But ME 1&2 were epic imo. Except for the dune buggy grind in ME 1. Graphics were OK but the interactivity with NPC's and the story were awesome. I really liked Garrus and Zaeed.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I guess I'll come to the defense of both Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 as I don't think they deserve to be bashed as hard as you guys are doing it to them.

I'll start with Mass Effect 3, sure it wasn't an AMAZING game and the ending was something to want better (even with the dlc expansion to it), but it wasn't a BAD game either. They retuned the combat mechanics improving on what Mass Effect 2 had and allowed the game to transition more smoothly from content/cut scenes of conversation into combat. The multiplayer, while unnecessary wasn't all that bad either. Perhaps that's because it's coming from someone who enjoys multiplayer games and that it was a nice last stand defensive co-op rather than player head to head contests. Like I've said, I don't think it was a horrible game, it was no Duke Nukem Forever, so I don't believe it deserves to be bashed as harshly due to a poor ending as the story up until that point was engaging and interesting at least to me.

Now ontop Dragon Age 2, I guess this is another game where I enjoyed the change in the combat system, making it a bit more fluid. Maybe that's because I tend to play games through on their 2nd hardest difficulty to make the game more challenging and get more hours out of my first play through. Dragon Age 2 did exactly that, the story itself was interesting to me, and I quite enjoyed some of the embellishments that were made as it was being retold as a story. The biggest shortcoming of this game was of course the lack of unique areas and the recycling of dungeon areas. That just screams lazy dungeon development, but not combat or story because those are all separate departments. The claim to reused areas throughout the game was that people had complained to them about the massive size that Dragon Age 1 was and apparently Bioware wanted to create a smaller footprint for their second game by cutting corners.

I believe from both games Bioware has learned that cutting corners will burn a lot of bridges with their customers/community and perhaps trying to hold back the beast that is EA release it now may give them some more leverage, or perhaps we'll see Bioware fall further from gamer grace but only time will tell. SWTOR was to me a horribly launched and buggy game, the gameplay and storylines were AMAZING however their were slow as hell with patching content and their customer service blamed users for any problems they encountered in the game claiming it was on their end even if multiple people complained about the same issue. A friend of mine still plays and has said after about 8 months since the release the game feels like it's finally real mmo, stating they should have ran it in beta until then then released it and would have got/kept a lot more people.

All I know is that Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect whatever will NOT be games that I pre-order HOWEVER I will still give them a chance based on people's views on it after the games have released as I may have pre-ordered ME3 but I didn't get free time to play it until after the dlc ending was added.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will also come to the defense of ME3. Just like Arinoth has said it may have not been an amazing game but it was not a terrible game. Also I got it right at release and played it and enjoyed it right up until the end. I have since gone back and replayed it with all of the DLC (extended ending, Levithen, Omega, and Citadel) and really once combined with that it turns out pretty good. Yes of course the ending could and should have been better and I firmly believe that all of that DLC I mentioned should have been in it from day one, but all in all it was still a good game.

As for DA2, well I somewhat agree with Arinoth again, while the story was not DA:Origins material it wasn't terrible. But the thing is it wasn't that good for anything else. I mean the reusing of dungeons and buildings was just pathetic and I still think that the combat and inventory was much better on the first one.

The thing is just like the picture I put up points out as soon as EA gets a hold of these once great companies their games suffer. It is EA aiming for nothing but the dollar and just trying to capitalize on good games. They force release dates and put up buggy stuff just to meet the deadline. I really do believe that we would have gotten the ME3 we all wanted if there had been no EA, same with DA2 and Simcity.

Old March 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There was a ME3? I own there other two on steam and loved them. Where on steam can I get ME3? I didn't think EA put out games any more.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

They dont. ME3 - like DA2 - is just a fragment from one of the Sleeping God's nightmares....and heaven help us all if EA the head acolyte of Cthulhu manage to wake him via their evil machinations! Rumor has it only a flood of rage induced tears (from virgins) will work...which explains all their shitty games lately. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 18, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
EA the head acolyte of Cthulhu