Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2013, 11:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nah this aint about killing PC gaming per say (though the end result is the same)...its about micro transactions. EA wants to milk EVERY game they make for every penny. SC5 should have been primarily a single player...but EA cant make money on micro transactions that way...so they made it into the abortion it became...a crappy MP centric game. The sooner EA and their ilk die off the better everyone will be. IMHO non-kickstarter games that I buy will be few and far between. Voting with our wallets is the only way. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 8, 2013, 11:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Here's where I think the real problem lies. AAA game development is so expensive and time consuming, they have to launch the games early to recover their expenses and fund FINISHING it. PC games are being launched (and bought) at alpha and beta stages, rather than waiting for them to be finished. Remember how HORRIBLE Battlefield 3 was at launch? I think the only plus of console gaming is that the games have to pass the QA testing of MS/Sony/Nintendo before they launch, but in the PC world it's anything goes.
Agreed. Even the F2P online crap is ALpha/Beta while they start raking in the funds to finish it.
Mechwarrior Online only now released a testing ground for controls and mech design. After it had been out and taken money for how long?
The lack of forsight on some of these game issues for PC really pisses me of..

That being said, some games SJ are really made good even at the beginning while others are garbage.

- XCom - Amazing Game worth Every Cent I poured into it
- Stronghold 3 - Biggest POS developed

The Gaming industry is really in a state of flux atm. Though at this stage in my life, I have lots of other things I can do besides play games.
Like Fish. Paintball.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 8, 2013, 11:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Nah this aint about killing PC gaming per say (though the end result is the same)...its about micro transactions. EA wants to milk EVERY game they make for every penny. SC5 should have been primarily a single player...but EA cant make money on micro transactions that way...so they made it into the abortion it became...a crappy MP centric game. The sooner EA and their ilk die off the better everyone will be. IMHO non-kickstarter games that I buy will be few and far between. Voting with our wallets is the only way. :(
I wish EA was the only bad guy out there, but unfortunately after seeing what Activision did to DIII I suspect the great majority of large Corp producers are on the same page when it comes to wanting more overall post sales content control than traditional single player PC games offer.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 8, 2013, 12:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I wish EA was the only bad guy out there, but unfortunately after seeing what Activision did to DIII I suspect the great majority of large Corp producers are on the same page when it comes to wanting more overall post sales content control than traditional single player PC games offer.
Its not even just PC, Console as well.
ME3 will go down in history as being the most anti-climactic Joke of a Trilogy ending.

Idiotware errrr Bioware really knew what they were doing there....

I think a lot of game developers have dropped the ball as of late.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 8, 2013, 12:22 PM
Allstar

Well if they are going to write an offline module, I suspect they also have to write an AI module to go with it if they want to stick with an interactive region model where other cities will affect yours. I never played SimCity 4 so I have no idea how the region thing worked back then.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Its not even just PC, Console as well.
ME3 will go down in history as being the most anti-climactic Joke of a Trilogy ending.

Idiotware errrr Bioware really knew what they were doing there....

I think a lot of game developers have dropped the ball as of late.

-ST
It's (IMO) not as big of a deal on consoles because a/ the platform already has inherent content control, and b/ I suspect PC gamers expect more than just the ability to mash buttons on a controller.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 8, 2013, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The only big name game that I can think of that I know I will buy is going to be The Witcher 3. Why because they have stated how they hate the idea of some publisher telling them what to do. Plus they understand that they don't need draconian DRM to have a successful game.

Really this is why I have said right from the get go that free to play and micro-transactions are going to seriously hurt the PC game industry. I vote with my wallet and said right after I finished ME3 that I was done with EA. They have trashed one of my favorite developers, Bioware, and now Maxis, they killed almost all sports games for the PC and well they just generally suck. Of course they are not the only ones screwing the industry over, but I do think that they are the worst. Hell they got worst company of the year for 2012.

Old March 8, 2013, 05:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I used to be big into EA SIMS games, played lots of SIMcities, the SIMS, the SIM2, but haven't for a while now (a while as in a decade I guess), but was thinking maybe SIMcity5 would see my return to my old habits ~ I'm glad I didn't. I live out in the country, no cable internet, I rely on "satellite" internet (actually its a radio signal for those who care, but the dish looks somewhat like a satellite dish and sits on the roof beside my TV satellite dish so everyone calls it satellite internet - but I digress). ... anyway I tease my ISP that they are my "internet sometimes provider" because it is not uncommon to lose the signal periodically, sometimes for days - hate it when it goes down on a Friday and they can't get to fixing it until next week, small ma-pa operation runs the radio towers out here and they don't work weekends. I upgraded to 5 mbps service in November and do get 3-5 mbps download now (a 100% improvement over my previous connection speed).

This business of expecting a good, consistent, high speed internet connection is driving a wider gap in the technological divide between the haves and have nots of our world, and rural Canada will be left in the virtual dust in this game. I see MS Office365 will now expect this same 24/7 connection to work, and you 'rent' your software by the year in the future. Don't like where this is going.

Well so much for SIMScity5, that's off my wish list.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old March 8, 2013, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
This happens to these retards EACH AND EVERY TIME!

They don't learn, and they don't care! Just wait for the pirated copy / offline server module so you can play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Paying for a game like this is like lining up for a week to be the first one to get an iPhone5.

It's degrading.
Actually, since the simulation is done on their servers there are no cracked copies and you probably won't see one for a while if it all. Server files would have to leaked somehow. Even Diablo 3 is barely cracked, I think you can "play the game" but theres no creeps or drops and what not. So actually it did eliminate piracy of the game. But - now they're spending a shit ton on server costs and lots of people aren't buying the game or returning it because of connection issues.

Part of it being online was most likely a design choice by Maxis for the multiplayer aspect, and since they were already implementing most of the game as online - hey why not make it online ONLY. That way EA can shutdown the servers in 2 years so you can buy the new one, just like what they've done with their sports games. It wouldn't be a stretch to include an offline sandbox mod where you could play a region by yourself, but then you gotta put the simulation code in the game which would cause the game to be pirated.

I know there's people that have purchased this and otherwise would'be pirated it so technically it does prevent some piracy, but again AT WHAT COST. They should've at least rented WAY more servers for the launch and then scaled back as people stopped playing or played less, since launch time is when eVERYONE PLAYS because it's brand new. They must've known this, but probably have a tiny budget and don't give a shit about adding more resources, instead just remove game features like cheetah speed and leaderboards to lighten load.

Anyways, that being said I'm not too upset about it; I've already played like 15 hours and only paid $40 for it. It will just be really greasy of EA when they shut down the servers in a couple of years and never bother releasing the simulation code to run it offline. I'm hoping things are better in the next couple weeks and all features are working as intended as it seems more like a beta right now.

Here's an email from an exec at EA if interested;

Old March 8, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Dude..it already has been cracked. I in no way condone piracy....but the same group who cracked another 'uncrackable' game...has (apparently) a working beta out. Piss off enough peeps and nothing is safe.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr