Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2013, 06:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately, I suspect PC gamers are just going to have to accept the fact that big players (like EA) believe that 24/7 connectivity + no offline play is the way forward for both DRM and micro transaction business models.

Many recent games have required connectivity in order to activate, and games like DIII seem to be setting the standard WRT 24/7 connectivity.

It's a pity as (IMO) the DII battlenet model was a perfect example of how online content could drive folks who would normally pirate games to actually purchase them in order to get the online content. Rather than using that model of extra/better/different content producers have taken the worst parts of online requirements without offering any of the benefits.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 8, 2013, 06:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think the issue is this: most gamers want to be in control of their own destiny, or at least have the option to do so. Having some moron's pollution mucking up a city isn't my idea of a good time.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:23 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I got connected last night but it was late so I didn't play. Now I'm getting the unable to load message again. I have all kinds of connectivity on this machine so the issue is not on my end.

At what point is my anger NOT supposed to be unrealistic expectations on my part?
Fold for team #54196
Old March 8, 2013, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think an offline component is possible. Just allow the regions to run like they did in SimCity 4. Allow the player to jump between individual cities in a region on-the-fly and problem solved. That was actually only of my best memories of SimCity 4.
I agree I really donts ee how hard a single player component could be, only slight modifications maybe, no real dev time. I wouldnt even mind having to build up a region before I became successful.

And I've decided from now on, well really it was the Diablo3 launch, that I will never purchase a game if it requires an active connection to a server. Multiplayer has been perfected prior to this and I really dont agree with where they are going with it.

The thing is I dont see how having the always online component makes sense financially really, the server upfront and maintenance costs cant be that small. Not to mention the bad publicity

And I agree with Sky as well, it is an issue of control as well, not only do you have to be part of a region and affected by others who may or may not benefit you BUT also any hopes and dreams of moding the game in the future are dead as well.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sure glad I didnt buy this game. I really enjoyed the beta , but ive learned my lesson from D3 with this always online BS and it seems to be a repeat of that.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The issue is not with the game.. its simply with the fact they grossly underestimated server needs upon launch time and got bit in the ass.. hard! Its been 2 days now and I still have issues connecting and even when I was the game would disconnect while IN game.
This happens to these retards EACH AND EVERY TIME!

They don't learn, and they don't care! Just wait for the pirated copy / offline server module so you can play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Paying for a game like this is like lining up for a week to be the first one to get an iPhone5.

It's degrading.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:54 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Heh...for someone like me who hardly plays games anymore, I didnt realize that there were crazy server issues the last time they did this. First game I bought in ages. Didnt realize that I had to research this shite before buying a game.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 8, 2013, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know what I'll be waiting for. I've given lots of money to EA over the years for games that I enjoy playing multiplayer on (BF3, for example) and gotten screwed by them at the same time, but because I enjoy the game, I deal with it (BF3, for example, having to buy the Premium game, even though I pre-purchased Limited Edition before launch. I effectively bought the game twice!! )

However, SimCity is probably one which i'll be looking at getting through 'other avenues', simply because it will give me a better playing experience.

(and by 'other avenues' I mean 'buying' it from 'third party vendors', just so I don't get in trouble, wink wink)

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 8, 2013, 08:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It's like this is an under-handed way to kill the PC gaming industry. I know at least a dozen people who gave PC gaming another shot after hearing about this SimCity game. They all bought it and most are now turn off...again.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Here's where I think the real problem lies. AAA game development is so expensive and time consuming, they have to launch the games early to recover their expenses and fund FINISHING it. PC games are being launched (and bought) at alpha and beta stages, rather than waiting for them to be finished. Remember how HORRIBLE Battlefield 3 was at launch? I think the only plus of console gaming is that the games have to pass the QA testing of MS/Sony/Nintendo before they launch, but in the PC world it's anything goes.