Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2013, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

LMAO, YAP: build 1.01.743.0

Still no love for nVidia though.

Anyone else suffer the hour plus to install this game even though they have the disk? I'm getting the updates and what not @2.3MB's/s and it's K-9 seducing slow.

Just checked. She is installed now finally! I can't imagine how much time I saved by getting the Disk. The next iteration of L. Croft needs to be done by Project Red.

Edit: I noticed there is a plethora of DLC for this game. Any of it worthy?

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; April 18, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You could try adding the game key to Steam? Sometimes this works.
Old April 28, 2013, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am really not enjoying this game. I really dont know why, its well done but it just doesnt seem fun. It seems like youre being heavily spoonfed throughout the game and the qte's are awful. im maybe halfway through but struggling to keep going. Its disappointing though because i looked really forward to playing this game when it got announced, now i cant bring myself to play it. My wife loved it though, she played through it twice. Great looking game though, i run it maxed 1920x1080, 4x smaa, no tress fx at 60+ fps with my 3 570s.
Old April 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The game is great for me. The QTE's do tend to ruin the immersion. Here is hoping they make another sans quick time events. I got all the way to the part where you can't fast travel beyond that point. So here I will stop and finish collecting in all the areas before I progress. Grinding ain't my thing but I feel I must.
Old April 28, 2013, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
LMAO, YAP: build 1.01.743.0

Still no love for nVidia though.

Anyone else suffer the hour plus to install this game even though they have the disk? I'm getting the updates and what not @2.3MB's/s and it's K-9 seducing slow.

Just checked. She is installed now finally! I can't imagine how much time I saved by getting the Disk. The next iteration of L. Croft needs to be done by Project Red.

Edit: I noticed there is a plethora of DLC for this game. Any of it worthy?
if got an older NVidia card that has 256bit buss and ram ...make it your

PhysX card (note only power is connected no SLi link)
Old April 30, 2013, 07:35 AM
Allstar

Is this still on sale at greenman? I can't check right now, for $20 with coupon I think I want it.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:22 AM
Rookie

So I finished this game and it's....okay? There are parts of it that I like but then I turn a corner and I start disliking it again.

- Combat is occasionally frustrating, but for the most part it is just mindnumbingly tedious. Shoot the three guys using any weapon (they all feel the same) as they pop in and out of cover spots. Wait until three more guys appear out of nowhere and take their place in the exact same spots. Once in a while roll dodge from the grenade spamming. Rinse and repeat about 4 minutes longer than it should last.

- Speaking of weapons, I like the idea of the upgrade system but I'm not a fan of the way they implemented it. You are locked by specific tiers which means you can't specialize, and there's no new game plus from what I understand. The result is I'm forced to choose a ton of upgrades I have no interest in so that I can have access to the upgrades I want now that the game is pretty much over. (This silencer on my pistol sure will come in handy during this final firefight!)

- Between the Assassin's Creed series greatly lessening buiding traversal and this series now going the Uncharted route, I'm kind of distressed that there are no real games anymore where you just explore an environment and climb to the top using your own intuition. Between everything being a linear journey signposted with white paint and the worst kind of QTE implementation, I feel less like I'm figuring out how to reach a location and more figuring out exactly what the developers want me to do for their cinematic experience to play out perfectly. Granted, I do find it a lot easier to figure out exactly what that is than I do in the extremely frustrating Uncharted series, so I'll give it that.

- Speaking of that, obviously my favourite parts are the puzzle solving where they leave you to yourself. I liked the optional tombs and wish there was a lot more of that stuff.

- Maybe I'm spoiled from just finishing Bioshock Infinite, but holy **** is this story not even remotely interesting, full of cliched characters reading journal entries I do not care about, all the while taking itself way too seriously. There are a lot of overly dramatic moments that are ruined by goofy dialogue by people who have barely been established.

I guess it's an above average game because I've been entertained enough to see it to completion but for me it's turned out to be a massive dissapointment, especially considering all the praise it's being given.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles View Post
So I finished this game and it's....okay? There are parts of it that I like but then I turn a corner and I start disliking it again.

- Combat is occasionally frustrating, but for the most part it is just mindnumbingly tedious. Shoot the three guys using any weapon (they all feel the same) as they pop in and out of cover spots. Wait until three more guys appear out of nowhere and take their place in the exact same spots. Once in a while roll dodge from the grenade spamming. Rinse and repeat about 4 minutes longer than it should last.

- Speaking of weapons, I like the idea of the upgrade system but I'm not a fan of the way they implemented it. You are locked by specific tiers which means you can't specialize, and there's no new game plus from what I understand. The result is I'm forced to choose a ton of upgrades I have no interest in so that I can have access to the upgrades I want now that the game is pretty much over. (This silencer on my pistol sure will come in handy during this final firefight!)

- Between the Assassin's Creed series greatly lessening buiding traversal and this series now going the Uncharted route, I'm kind of distressed that there are no real games anymore where you just explore an environment and climb to the top using your own intuition. Between everything being a linear journey signposted with white paint and the worst kind of QTE implementation, I feel less like I'm figuring out how to reach a location and more figuring out exactly what the developers want me to do for their cinematic experience to play out perfectly. Granted, I do find it a lot easier to figure out exactly what that is than I do in the extremely frustrating Uncharted series, so I'll give it that.

- Speaking of that, obviously my favourite parts are the puzzle solving where they leave you to yourself. I liked the optional tombs and wish there was a lot more of that stuff.

- Maybe I'm spoiled from just finishing Bioshock Infinite, but holy **** is this story not even remotely interesting, full of cliched characters reading journal entries I do not care about, all the while taking itself way too seriously. There are a lot of overly dramatic moments that are ruined by goofy dialogue by people who have barely been established.

I guess it's an above average game because I've been entertained enough to see it to completion but for me it's turned out to be a massive dissapointment, especially considering all the praise it's being given.
cause the game wasn't new, I forget the name of the win95/8 game

Lara was replace by and soldier who came to find why teams were not coming back to base

and found the sun queen holding them

for the script/map shadowed first game (I know I played this game b4)

agree with more treasure maps

but graphic's really shined this time round the AI was geared to older tech

Last edited by KaptCrunch; April 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just finished this last night. There were a few moments it felt cheap in combat but that is pretty much every single game nowadays. I didn't mind the QTE's. I am not sure about all the hate surrounding them in general. It's not like the whole game was based on them or anything. And you could really avoid them for the most part after the first bit of the game. I liked close combat and meleeing bad guys, so I guess that means more QTE's for me, but the finishing moves with different weapons were pretty sweet and worth the extra effort. :)

The weapons did feel different for me. In close, out comes the shotgun (with alternate fire too!). Long range = bow and arrow, even grenade arrows woohoo! And of course the assault gun for groups of baddies behind cover at mid-range. I liked changing them up and using what made sense. I agree the upgrade system wasn't really there for you to define your style as it was just a way to upgrade weapons in general. That maybe could be improved next game.

Climbing was cool. I liked the axe and mechanics around it. Maybe some more complex climbing areas would be fun. Of course the exploration part is fantastic too. Again, could use more.

I thought the story was good but the storytelling was not that strong. The characters were pretty flat and generic. But the atmosphere made up for it really. I guess everyone was expecting Uncharted narrative quality and didn't get it. I wasn't and just let the game unfold. Would it be better with stronger character development, yes! But it was still a pretty awesome game.

I finished at 92% and don't really feel like going back to 100% it, as my game time is so limited I would rather start something new (like Bioshock Infinite!).

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old May 1, 2013, 08:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I pretty much agree with you for tomb raider!

Would have loved to see more difficult climbing areas!

PS: play bioshock infinite,it's the ultimate mindf***ing game but it's awesome!