Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2013, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Microsoft has lost in regards to the PC

I dont mean Windows vs Mac or Linux, I mean in a purely gaming standpoint and that is why they are focusing heavily on the console.

Its been puzzling me for quite a while as to why microsoft has been putting so little effort onto the PC in terms of gaming. They had a great opportunity to put Halo4 Windows8 at its launch and they passed it up. Theres been next to no improvements on the PC in terms of gaming for quite a while. Why is that you ask? Well let me tell you why I think.

Microsoft lost any control it had of the platform it had when Steam started taking off. Windows needed to get its GFWL integrated into Windows and actually half decent before Steam ballooned the way it did. Valve is making truckloads of money off every game Steam sells while Microsoft makes nothing. Curse of having an open platform.

Microsoft needed an integrated Steam basically a long time ago and now I really dont think they have a whole lot of hope in getting back that market share. The Windows 8 store is too little and too late I think. First off its only for the metro interface which noone actually uses, 2 it lacks t he focus and integration with games that Steam has, and 3 its against what is now a multi platform gaming service.

Sometimes I do dream of what a Microsoft Steam service could look like, deeper integration into the OS isnt really necessary dont get me wrong but imagine if your save games placement actually had logic to it. I imagine offline mode might actually work as well.

The thing is even if Microsoft was to bring out their variant they'd have at least as much trouble as Origin is having (minus the SimCity server problems) and I really doubt for the moment that they are going to bother, they are going to continue to invest in their xbox despite the fact that 2014 will be the year of the PC.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think your right. It's a terrible shame imo that devs and hardware companies like ATI don't put more into Linux than they have. I'd be willing to bet most PC gamers would jump ship if Linux were supported as well as Windows. Has been a fantasy of mine for years.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I think your right. It's a terrible shame imo that devs and hardware companies like ATI don't put more into Linux than they have. I'd be willing to bet most PC gamers would jump ship if Linux were supported as well as Windows. Has been a fantasy of mine for years.
It has nothing to do with ATI or Nvidia supporting linux. Its more that DirectX is a Microsoft entity and you will never see it fully supported in Linux EVER!
Old March 7, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OpenGL

It's more the software makers descision what API(s) they will/won't support. In a bygone era ATI's support for OpenGL was so shoddy, I think that's a big reason a lot of devs never supported that API on Linux for thier games. Some did.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
OpenGL
OpenGL won't give you all the snazzy bells and whistles like DirectX tho
Old March 7, 2013, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It can. But because there is now little support for it. It won't.

Edit: Here is a good article on the abilities of OpenGL.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Honestly. Even if there was gaming parity across both Windows and Linux odds are fairly good that I'd still be using Windows. I've tried Ubuntu for a while on my laptop and never got the point where I was as productive on it as I was Windows. Its just interesting to me that Microsoft is no longer a player when it comes to PC gaming, Steam is a platform to itself, as is Origin or GOG or anything else that provides the service.

I will read that article on openGL though, I've always thought of it as a second class citizen to DirectX.

The other really sad thing is that I think Sony with the PS4 is going to do more for PC gaming this generation than Microsoft is even with it being the force behind Windows.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Honestly. Even if there was gaming parity across both Windows and Linux odds are fairly good that I'd still be using Windows.
Yes, it would be interesting to see what gamers adopted linux. I would be on board with a dual boot setup.

Quote:
I will read that article on openGL though, I've always thought of it as a second class citizen to DirectX.
There is a BIG differance between being a second class citizen and being treated like asecond class citizen.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Actually want to know why we never saw say Halo 4 for Windows 8? Would have required the engine to be rewritten for the PC as the 360 uses a PowerPC architecture that does memory management at assembly language absolutely opposite of x86. THIS is why we tend to see poor console ports or no console ports at all and why it's a GREAT thing the PS4 is using an x86 architecture, meaning at least Playstation exclusive games will be available for the PC and NOT be a port, actually just developed on the PC and optimized for the PS4.

Go google big endian vs little endian for detail explanation (and why prior to Apple going intel they couldn't run anyone's software whatosever)
Old March 7, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

CONSOLES are win98 friendly but a dinosaur in technology

rest of PC's today are 64bit and more work to bring gaming to life