Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2013, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lets see the earliest game that I remember the name to was Gorf. Played that on the Commodore in my room back when I was 5 I believe.

After that what really got me going was the Sierra quest games, particularly King's Quest. We picked up King's Quest IV at the same time as our new machine (I believe it was a Tandy 1000 or 4000). But I got into a lot of the Sierra games, King's Quest like I mentioned, Police Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Conquests of Camelot and Conquests of the Longbow.

I also remember playing the very first Test Drive game and having a blast. Of course it was nothing compared to how awesome the first Need for Speed game was, I really had such a blast with that one. Oh I was also there playing Wayne Gretzky Hockey the first one and then the third one which was if I am not mistaken the first true 3D hockey game. Had to upgrade from 4MB to 8MB of ram (cost $400) for that one to really get the full performance.

Oh and here is one that I will be surprised if others know about, Bouncing Babies, just a nice repetitive game to kill some time.

Old March 6, 2013, 05:34 PM
Top Prospect

Way to make me feel old-ish. The first games I remember playing were Alleycat, Castle, followed by the the early Sierra quest games. There were probably some other ones that were on an old TI computer that my uncle had but I rarely played on it when I was there... or was there rarely.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Games as a kid?
Hmmm... let's see... "Chase the dinosaur" was fun and immediately followed by "run away from the dinosaur" which could often be no fun at all.

Earliest PC games I became addicted to were Silent Service II and HQ Command. The first game I had that was on a CD was Kings Quest V and that was also great.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:14 PM
Allstar

Leisure suit larry, LOVED space quest, Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender and so very many more.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Lets see the earliest game that I remember the name to was Gorf. Played that on the Commodore in my room back when I was 5 I believe.
Well that would have been on the Commodore Vic20.

However, I started off on the Intellivision. Astrosmash and Triple Play, etc.

Then I had my Vic20 with Gorf, and a few other games.

I followed that up with the Commodore C64 and the bazillion games it had.... like lots of Lode Runner.

Then it was the Commodore Amiga, which absolutely *smoked* all over the PC at the time for gfx and sound.

then finally around the AMD socket 462 days I finally got into PCs.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

On my Commodore64 I loved Oldtime Baseball and Pitfall
Old March 6, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ha! Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
When I was a kid, we used to go out and play games. But to answer the topic, I guess the first truly memorable games I played were Galaga and Galaxian (although the IIRC I played Pong before that). Getting too old.
I started reading this thread and though, hoo-boy! am I gonna spread some dust here. Good to know I wasn't the only one.

Anyway, most console games I played in my youth were supplied by friends. I spent most of my money on motorcycles and such. I really liked my buddy's Atari games like Yars revenge Golden Axe etc. But I liked the outdoors too much back then to be arsed with buying one.

I did blow wads of coin at the arcades though. Galaga and Joust were two of my favorites. Oh! and Karate Champ. I remember playing Pong with my dad at his friends house back in the 70's. To this day Galaga is still my dads favorite game. He still plays it. I think he has a copy on his phone lol! He will be 66 tomorrow!

If electronic games are acceptable I really did like Merlin and Simon. Much, much later in life, a friend of mine borrowed me a copy of Warcraft Orcs and humans. That was it, I really got into PC gaming from then on. Tides of Darkness graced my PC next.

Then it was Starcraft Which I first played as a slide show on my Pentium 66Mhz powerhouse. I saw a shiny copy of Unreal on the shelf in 1998 and decided I would invest in my first new PC (Asus P5A Socket 7, AMD K-6 350 and a Voodoo 3000). By this time I was hooked. I was indeed a junkie now.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 6, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I first played games at friends houses who had atari's or intellivisions. Started my own serious gaming with a colecovision, played mainly donkey kong, dk jr, and with my family we spent hours together playing a game called lady bug (a pac man like game). It was the only game that my parents would play with my brother and me. Good times

Not long after I started gaming with a commodore64, after we found out how many games we could get from other people on tape or on floppies. Played lots of Lode Runner, space taxi, ghouls and ghosts, zaxxon, moon patrol, etc, etc, etc.

Bard's Tale for the 64 was a game that my friends and I spent hours on! We each had different classes of characters that we built up and played with. I remember having a top level monk that I didn't need any armour or weapons - he was that stealthy and strong a fighter with his fists! Started my love of RPG games.

When I got into PC gaming I spent a lot of time gaming with the Ultima series. Good old Britannia and Lord British! I'd have to say Ultima 4 was my favorite of the series - when they first introduced virtues to the series. Then Ultima 5 was great too! I remember my buddies Shamino, Iolo, and Dupre!! I think Ultima consumed my life! Oh the memories, loved it.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

my earliest pc gaming memory would have to be Buck Rogers,Zaxxon and Fort Apocalypse on my Commodore 64
Old March 7, 2013, 06:44 AM
Allstar

Like a few other members here, Pong would be the first game I payed on a console. After that would be a friends Atari (don't remember the model), then a friends Vic20 and my cousins Intellivision. I got a Commodore 64 for xmas which was amazing. Loved Donkey Kong of course, Zaxxon, Lady Bug (Great game actually. Surprisingly my mom kicked ass at that game haha), Bards Tale, Montezuma's Revenge, Spy VS Spy, Archon, Gauntlet, Winter Games, and the creepy, heart pounding Mission Impossible! But I think my favourite game on the 64 would have to be MULE. Wish I could find a good port of it. For PC gaming it would be Leisure Suit Larry (Wrote a Basic game based of the questions from LSL for my grade 10 computer class. Teacher was not impressed haha) and then a ton of RPG's...Wizardy, Bards Tale, Eye Of The Beholder, FF etc etc.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N