Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2013, 10:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Valve in itself really hasn't launched any major titles over the past couple years. They're still running on their age-old Source engine. Granted, they are very solid games with a huge re-playability factor, but either way, the innovation and pursuit for advancing PC gaming seems minimal.

Granted, I don't think EA has the greatest business practices, but not many corporations do, especially at the size that EA is. I believe they have made smart business decisions though in their acquisitions and it puts them in a much better place for moving PC gaming forward from a technical standpoint. They have DICE with the Frostbyte engine and Crytek with Cryengine. These are class-leaders for graphics and physics and actually push our hardware to it's limits.

Yes, EA games do tend to lack depth in their storylines as they are aggressive with their timelines and I can only imagine the stress that the developers undergo. Valve on the other hand is WAY too relaxed, they just code on a whim it seems and have no apparent timeline to complete anything. That's fine if you're an indie company and doing it as a side-project, but Valve no longer is and it seems they haven't realized this.

I've seen countless threads on here about how PC gaming is "dying", but I think Valve is contributing the most to that death as Gabe is pushing for Linux and their own ARM-based consoles. There will be very little reason to buy the latest NVIDIA/AMD video card or the latest Intel/AMD CPU if this is the way things go. Our whole hardware enthusiast community will simply vanish. At least EA is still actively developing for PC gamers and pushing hardware forward.

Both companies have made mistakes, but I think Valve is in a worse position than EA for the future. Valve has basically just become a distributor of games where EA is still producing AAA titles along with having online distribution (Origin).

That's just me though... I'm very much a hardware enthusiast and love to see games push my hardware to it's limits. I can ignore poor storylines for the most part for some graphical eye candy. And for this, EA provides, Valve does not.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

DRM is retarded. It makes paying customers victims and people who pirate don't even have an issue.

Due to DRM, I was not able to play a game I paid for, so I had to use pirated portions of the game to "fix" my legit copy. Why should this happen? My father in law couldn't play Settlers7 since forever, so I spent an hour getting that all fixed for him, again, all due to DRM.

I bought BF3 because I like those games but now I have to PAY AGAIN in order to play BF3 with people because of the way the DLCs are working. The result is that I don't even play the game anymore.

EA games are ruined by the price gouging they continually do. You don't pay for something and get it, you get a taste of it and have to pay more to play it. I don't mind DLC content in games like Fallout3 simply because it does add more life to the game I paid for. In multiplayer games it just means that people who don't buy the DLC end up being left on empty servers. Again, no thanks.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I bought BF3 because I like those games but now I have to PAY AGAIN in order to play BF3 with people because of the way the DLCs are working. The result is that I don't even play the game anymore.

EA games are ruined by the price gouging they continually do. You don't pay for something and get it, you get a taste of it and have to pay more to play it. I don't mind DLC content in games like Fallout3 simply because it does add more life to the game I paid for. In multiplayer games it just means that people who don't buy the DLC end up being left on empty servers. Again, no thanks.
Yeah buddy. This.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There's still tons of BF3 servers running the original maps. I know because the guys at work just bought BF3 when it was on sale for $12, so I've been playing with them.

Granted, Premium was on sale last week too for half-price I believe. The game has been out for quite a while and the new content that gets added is pretty solid. I think it's worth the price, but I've always been a BF fan so maybe slightly jaded.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gah! I've been searching for premium on a sale, I just don't seem to be able to find it....
Old March 4, 2013, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Gah! I've been searching for premium on a sale, I just don't seem to be able to find it....
It's been 50% off numerous times.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I miss it every time haha. Also looking to buy it at 50% off!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old March 4, 2013, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you guys use Reddit at all, do yourselves a favor and subscribe to /r/GameDeals. I'll post it next time I see it on sale though.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you sir!
Old March 6, 2013, 11:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just feel EA loves to nickle and dime a gamer to death and it annoys me.