Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think anyone expects it to actually render at 4K, just upscale the output to it. Same thing it does now with going to 1080. That said I will be quite surprised to see any average person with a 4K tv within the next 2 years at least.

Old February 21, 2013, 08:57 AM
Top Prospect

Upscaling to 4K isn't that big of a deal.

If your source (PS4/Xbox 720) doesn't do it, the 4KTV's internal scaler (of likely higher quality and ability) would be doing it anyway. I am sure 1080P Blu-rays will be just fine on the few 4KTV's out in the wild.

I would be interested in finding out if it can output 4K for video sources though! How the PS3 was the first reasonable and "best" blu-ray player, it would be nice if the PS4 could slot itself in as a great way to get into 4K movies. (Not that there's a huge benefit to 4K anyway).

And regarding 720P and 60FPS in current gen consoles. It's probably not common, but possible. Perhaps some of the racing games and Xbox Live / PSN arcade games. Having said that, 720P or higher with Crysis 3 level effects at 60fps minimum on the PS4 and Xbox 720 would be a huge leap in my opinion. (And a high quality 720P game with no framerate drop would be a better experience than 1080P rendering with less effects and dropped frames from your couch - typical console situation).

Woot? It does 4K for everything except for games, and implying 1080p/60 is a reality.

Last edited by Bao; February 21, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

If they expect the console to last 5-7 years again it better support 4k. It may not be relevant today but in 2 years I do expect 4K TVs to be at least available at the same prices a decent 1080p TV is today. 3 years max. And it should invade the high end within a year. The jump from 1080 to 4k is bigger than 720 to 1080. Theres the big issue right now of content for 4k and I would have thought that it would have been a feather in Sony's cap to be able to say that their console would have supported 4k, at those specs though it sure wont be able to push full 4k. With the life span of consoles its far from a mute point.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

It supports 4K pictures and video. Just not games. It's already a bit of a miracle that they're expecting 1080p/60 to be achievable for gaming.

But 4K... asking for far too much, 7970 GHz edition barely does 45 fps in Assassin's Creed 3 at 2560x1440:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB Performance Review

Granted consoles tend to do a lot more with less, but the jump from 1080p/60 in a $599 system to 3840x2160P/60 for $599... uh?
Old February 21, 2013, 12:17 PM
Rookie

All you guys saying "it better do 4k" are dreaming. Higher end cards, costing more than what the ps4 is going to sell for, have a hard time doing 4k at 30fps(the minimum any console maker would deem ok). They are designing something for the masses, which right away negates being able to include hardware that can 4k hardware. Even if they released a system that cost 1000 with a 7970 or 680 in it would complain it costs too much and will be out dated to fast for the price.

For my pc I'm still gaming with a 920 oc'd to 4.0Ghz(5 years old), and sli'd 460's (3 years old), considered lower end by todays pc standards now but they can still run everything at 1080p(ok haven't tried crisis 3 yet) on max settings. So why is it so hard to believe that a system configured like the ps4 is could have a hard time lasting 5 or 6 years. Some my blame this due to being held back by consoles, but I haven't had any problems running new exclusive pc games even on my old hardware. Granted we go through all this every time a new console is launched and every time you compare launch games to end of life games the strides in graphics quality is always pretty amazing considering it's the same old hardware from many years ago and I look forward to seeing how they evolve in the coming generation.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Playstation 4 doesn't revolutionize graphically from the PS3, but how we play the games however is what seems different, with this whole "socialization" approach, it should be interesting to see.

BTW I don't like watching people play video games (only except is Asura's Wrath and those who are actually ENTERTAINING!) So I couldn't care, if they have a streaming service or not.

However what I'm interested in is this hack... I mean let other players control your game to help you out.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 4k argument is ridiculous. Even in 5 years 4k TV's will still be quite expensive and there will be like zero content for 4k. Cable/Sattelite providers barely have the bandwidth for 1080p as it is right now, they aren't going to be broadcasting 4k anytime soon. That and the fact that even top of the line GPUs today would have problems playing games at 4k. 4k adoption is still a long ways off, look how long it took for 1080p to be widely adopted.

As for social features, I could careless about the Facebook or Twitter part of it or whatever, but I love the idea of uploading game videos or screenshots and having a hub to browse through your friends content - I like that shit. Similar to what Steam is doing. I'm not sure how the video recording works though, did they say you press the social button and it start recording or? Need to see more of it. I see uploading these videos being a problem for a lot of people with garbage internet connections, it would be nice if ISPs would get with the program and give us some better service where sharing these videos would almost be instant. It kinda breaks the experience when you're waiting around for video to download and/or upload.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
The 4k argument is ridiculous. Even in 5 years 4k TV's will still be quite expensive and there will be like zero content for 4k. Cable/Sattelite providers barely have the bandwidth for 1080p as it is right now, they aren't going to be broadcasting 4k anytime soon. That and the fact that even top of the line GPUs today would have problems playing games at 4k. 4k adoption is still a long ways off, look how long it took for 1080p to be widely adopted.

As for social features, I could careless about the Facebook or Twitter part of it or whatever, but I love the idea of uploading game videos or screenshots and having a hub to browse through your friends content - I like that shit. Similar to what Steam is doing. I'm not sure how the video recording works though, did they say you press the social button and it start recording or? Need to see more of it. I see uploading these videos being a problem for a lot of people with garbage internet connections, it would be nice if ISPs would get with the program and give us some better service where sharing these videos would almost be instant. It kinda breaks the experience when you're waiting around for video to download and/or upload.
They said that the second you press SHARE you will start streaming, the PS4 has a hardware video encoder and decoder so it won't sacrifice performance while recording/streaming, I'm guessing however if you press the OPTIONS button they'll say: "When press Share what do you want: 1. Record video 2. Take a Screenshot 3. Stream your game via X account on UStream (for example)
Old February 21, 2013, 05:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if it was mentioned or not, however all the live game demos shown were not actually played on the PS4, it was however played on a PC with the same/similar system specifications, trying the exact sources again though to prove this.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Ign stated that killzone was done on a spec'd pc, I never heard anything about the rest.