Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2013, 04:38 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Will be interesting to see if the Android gaming piece works well:
Quote:
Thanks to Sony and Gaikai, PlayStation’s cloud gaming service will bring a revolutionary change to game consoles. The service will allow you to stream games from your PlayStation 4 directly to your mobile device. The “mobile device” doesn’t necessarily have to be a Sony device (although I bet Sony would want it to be). It can be any Android smartphone or tablet with a decent GPU capable of handling the cloud-gaming stream.

By integrating the PlayStation 4 with Android devices, Sony is opening up its market to the entirety of the Android audience. Many Android users will be pleased to know that they won’t have to purchase a PlayStation Vita in order to take advantage of the “Remote Play” feature. They can continue to play their PlayStation 4 games while they’re lying on their bed, or using the bathroom, straight from their Android smartphone or tablet.
PlayStation 4 Remote Play will be coming to Android devices | Android Community
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2013, 05:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Will be interesting to see if the Android gaming piece works well:

PlayStation 4 Remote Play will be coming to Android devices | Android Community
As nice of a feature that may be, I've not enjoyed playing quite a few games on my android devices because they NEEDED a controller, so my view on this may be mixed.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Are you guys serious about the 4K TV nonsense? WHo cares! 99.9999999% of us won't be getting one of those for years as I don't see the revelence. Most HD TV stations are not even past 1080i yet and we're worried about higher? Consoles are not the high def route, that has always been the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
As nice of a feature that may be, I've not enjoyed playing quite a few games on my android devices because they NEEDED a controller, so my view on this may be mixed.
Until Android gets full USB support going it will never be more than a phone/tablet OS.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:40 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Until Android gets full USB support going it will never be more than a phone/tablet OS.
Not sure what you mean by full USB support, but the tablets I have tried have pretty good USB support out of the box (ie. Toshiba Thrive). Every single mouse and keyboard I tried attaching to it at work performed fine, including a USB hub.

The Galaxy Note II has a docking station that seems to accept all kinds of peripherals too...mice, keyboards, usb storage, etc. The approx $100 is what keeps me from buying it though.

But for the most part, peripheral support certainly seems to depend on the OEM providing it (which makes some sense as the OEM also has to provide the hardware ports). So USB peripheral support does not seem to be much of an issue if the OEM decides to support it.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2013, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1. Android has major problems with no printer support out of the box, very limited support has been created by manufacturers.
2. Even when you have full USB host support with the physical port, most bluetooth dongles won't work.
3. Game controllers are only supported with hacks.

I like how some of the OEM's do go the extra mile, but there are still too many limitations for Android to be taken seriously outside phones and tablets. It is literally the Linux of the mobile world, luckily with far better support than the Linux of the PC world. Gotta give credit how far they have advanced it in such short order though.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:29 AM
Allstar

People care because that's the next standard. It's been 8 years since the PS3 was released, so when the new one comes to market you want it to support the latest standard, especially if it's going to be almost another decade before the next iteration. A little bit of future proofing would be nice.

Quote:
Are you guys serious about the 4K TV nonsense? WHo cares! 99.9999999% of us won't be getting one of those for years as I don't see the revelence. Most HD TV stations are not even past 1080i yet and we're worried about higher? Consoles are not the high def route, that has always been the way.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 21, 2013, 07:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Meh. This gen the only console I've gotten is a Wii U, and I'll skip MS and Sony's offerings. I only just got a PS3 and there's maybe 8-10 'exclusive' PS3 games I'm remotely interested in. Everything else is available for PC as well, and given the choice, I'd rather game on it. Hell if Zelda and Mario were on PC, I'd probably have skipped the Wii U as well.

The change to a more 'PC-ish' architecture will be nice, but if the new Xbox doesn't follow suit I would suspect it won't help out PC gaming much as most games will have to be designed with the lowest common denominator of the PC/PS3/720 group in mind. I think most gaming companies won't risk losing out on one of the three markets just to make their games look better on the other two.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
1. Android has major problems with no printer support out of the box, very limited support has been created by manufacturers.
2. Even when you have full USB host support with the physical port, most bluetooth dongles won't work.
3. Game controllers are only supported with hacks.

I like how some of the OEM's do go the extra mile, but there are still too many limitations for Android to be taken seriously outside phones and tablets. It is literally the Linux of the mobile world, luckily with far better support than the Linux of the PC world. Gotta give credit how far they have advanced it in such short order though.
You don't need printer support on a mobile device, and if you do there's plenty of solutions that work over wifi or bluetooth. Why would you need a bluetooth dongle to work on a tablet or phone? They come with bluetooth out of the box, for controllers that's the manufactures fault not googles, six axis controllers work fine if you buy that app which is fine.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:01 AM
Top Prospect

I am sure the PS4 and Xbox 720 will support 4KTV output. Just like how the current gen supports 1080P output but internally renders at sub 720P on a regular freaking basis. Expecting a console costing half the price of a Geforce Titan that likely can't even render 4K resolutions at 60FPS to do 4K rendering is beyond pie in the sky dreaming.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
I am sure the PS4 and Xbox 720 will support 4KTV output. Just like how the current gen supports 1080P output but internally renders at sub 720P on a regular freaking basis. Expecting a console costing half the price of a Geforce Titan that likely can't even render 4K resolutions at 60FPS to do 4K rendering is beyond pie in the sky dreaming.
Don't current consoles only do 720p at 30fps? Consoles generally don't produce anything good.