Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2013, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

probably limited to 1080p

Going to be interesting finding out the specs but seeing as it is an APU it wont be that powerful.

I too do care as much about the social features. Sure it is fine to watch people that are good at strategy games but now youtube will be even more flooded with crappy videos. I am not looking forward to that.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 20, 2013, 08:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

8 Jaguar cores, Pitcairn-class GPU with 18 Compute Units.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So another words a mid range cpu and GTX 660. Not bad and will be comparable with most pc gamers rigs.

Looking at flops wise my 3-way SLI GTX 260 would be comparable back in 2008.......

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."

Last edited by belgolas; February 20, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

So with some luck PC games might actually be the primary development platform and games will be ported to the PS4 and what ever the xbox is. I know that nothing I've seen in regards to the new console is going to make me rush out and buy one

But yeah not sure how they can get away without actually showing the console itself or talk at all about resolution, if it cant push 4k whats the point? Though, this is quite possibly one of the worst times to be bringing out a new console due to being able to see realistic 4K televisions on the horizon but not actually being here for another year or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
So another words a mid range cpu and GTX 660. Not bad and will be comparable with most pc gamers rigs.

Looking at flops wise my 3-way SLI GTX 260 would be comparable back in 2008.......
and its comparable to PCs today but say in 1 year....... we'll be miles ahead by the time that they are actually at full speed.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
8 Jaguar cores, Pitcairn-class GPU with 18 Compute Units.
Basically an APU with a built-in and presumably underclocked HD 7860 GPU (midway between the 7850 and 7870) and an FX-8300 series 8 core CPU...sounds like a massive die, wonder how they are going to cool it? Maybe that is why they didn't show the actual device yet, they might still be working out how to do it in a effective/reliable and financially efficient way!?

Also, GDDR5 as system memory? Yes, I realize it's basically the same thing as DDR3 but with a stronger prefetch buffer, but wouldn't that make it harder to code for? I mean wasn't easier coding the reason they gave for going with x86 in the first place? Then again I am no expert in this so feel free to contradict me...

Last edited by BrutalGreen; February 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How did we get from 7670/7750 to 660/7850? That has me a little bit more excited, considering the efficiency developers can achieve with limited hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I got a question for people here. I have seen some of the people talking about the "sharing features" like sharing video in real time and screenshots and clips and such. Am I just old and getting completely out of it? I mean I just want to play the games.

Are people actually looking forward to all of these social/sharing features?
The majority of the tech market, not just the gaming market, is socially oriented. Sony and Microsoft are trying to tap into as much of that market as possible. Over half of Xbox 360 users are online, with the majority of those socially active through Live's social features.

I think us single-player and traditional multi-player gamers are slowly going extinct.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This deserves a separate post: no backwards compatibility; cloud-based streaming for old Playstation library.

Although I guess going from Cell to x86 might have made that an impossibility? Whatever... so much suck.

EDIT: EB Games Australia has the PS4 on pre-order for... $899 = $940 Canadian.

Last edited by YukonTrooper; February 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well one is for sure, our ISPs will love it. I mean if everything is going to be streaming to it and from it damn near all the time, they are going to be getting millions of people with overage charges every month. I mean come on, just look at one of the things they want to do;
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameinformer
Sony's goal is to use its prediction software to study your gaming habits and seed your console with downloads it thinks you might like for a truly instant play experience. In addition, the company should be able to use its predictive data to serve players personalized news and content.
That right there is just another reason why I don't like it. I just hate the data mining that occurs with normal internet use, now it will be forced onto consoles too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
The majority of the tech market, not just the gaming market, is socially oriented. Sony and Microsoft are trying to tap into as much of that market as possible. Over half of Xbox 360 users are online, with the majority of those socially active through Live's social features.

I think us single-player and traditional multi-player gamers are slowly going extinct.
And that is why I am starting to feel old. I mean remember when being social meant actually going out and talking to people in person? Sigh, I guess I really am going extinct.

Old February 21, 2013, 04:13 AM
Allstar

We can probably say goodbye to free PSN too. Oh well, games for my ps3 will get cheaper.
Old February 21, 2013, 04:25 AM
Allstar

This was a total fail for enthusiasts and investors. They have a 2 hour conference on a virtual system ? Are they kidding ?

CHEERS