Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Annoying Error Code in Cliffs of Dover (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/59613-annoying-error-code-cliffs-dover.html)

fortkentdad February 9, 2013 10:00 AM

Annoying Error Code in Cliffs of Dover

I finally downloaded IL*2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover game from Steam (several hour download, no more STEAM games for this rural internet user), Anyway with a little patience I got the game loaded and running BUT I get the following error message:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...or-message.jpg

IF I click, retry, ignore or abort, or try to close the window COD crashes. (that error reads Launcher failed or something to that effect). If I just 'ignore' the error (that is to say pretend it is not there not press the ignore button) and move it out of the field of vision the game seems to play just fine.

Anyway anything I can do about this error code?

I'm running the game in Windows 7 in full screen. The images come through OK, FRAPS reports anywhere between 10-25 FPS. I am using all three screens and the visual effect is good providing a full panoramic view of the sky. (Although in the training bi-plane seeing the grass runway is a bit tricky, I guess when the pilots in WWII trianing in the Tiger Moth bi-plane they really didn't get a good view of what was below them like the runway, but that is an in-game skill thing I've got to work on).

I found it interesting that in the control settings I was able to use both my Thrustmaster HOTAS joystick & throttle controller, plus my Logitech gamepad. I just use the gamepads buttons, one to arm the bombs, one to open the bomb bay doors, and one to drop the bombs. There are so many features that you can custom load on this game, it really looks like a very detailed realistic game. So much to learn there.

Anyway, any help with that error code would be appreciated.

But it has warmed up to near Zero today so I'm heading out of doors and try to soak up a little vitamin D.

(Only in northern Canada would that be considered a balmy warm day eh?) :canadianwave:

ShinraCorp February 10, 2013 02:46 AM

C++ Error eh? Stupid thing to ask but did you install the latest Runtimes of C++? If you did then perhaps it's an incompatibility issue with Windows 7? Can you try this game on a Virtual Machine? You just need to install a VM of Windows XP shut it down then map it so you can transfer a "backup" version of your game to the VM.

fortkentdad February 10, 2013 09:17 AM

C++ ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinraCorp (Post 689637)
C++ Error eh? Stupid thing to ask but did you install the latest Runtimes of C++? If you did then perhaps it's an incompatibility issue with Windows 7? Can you try this game on a Virtual Machine? You just need to install a VM of Windows XP shut it down then map it so you can transfer a "backup" version of your game to the VM.

Not such a stupid question re Runtimes for C++. Can't ever recall doing anything with Runtime C++. I'll have to google that and update i guess.

Curious point. I was able to get through the training section on this flight sim, and discovered when I click on the mission section the error code is not there. It is only in the training section. Curious.

ShinraCorp February 10, 2013 10:53 AM

Curious indeed my good sir, did the official site for the game give out any help? I'm guessing you're not alone with this issue, google search this lol.

r0bc February 10, 2013 11:23 PM

Did you try asking over here?
Still a few people hanging around there maybe someone can help, I gave up on it myself.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover - Official 1C Company forum

fortkentdad February 11, 2013 12:00 AM

Well the problem is sort of solved. I found out that that particular error code only pops up in the first couple of training runs, by the time you go for your first solo flight no more error codes popping up. Strange. So what if I can't land the plane properly, that's why that have Autopilot right? Anyway I was able to get the game to work. Only in Windows 7 not in Win8. I was not to get it to start up with my two HD6670 video cards Xfired with each other but it would crash after a few minutes of game play, but when I enabled AMD's "dual graphic" mode and xfired one of the HD6670 GPU with the A10 APU, it worked. Even when I enabled Lucid MVP which enhances the memory of the iGPU (or something like that), even then it worked, as long as I did not enable one of the advanced features in Lucid. In COD's control panel I had to enable VSYNC otherwise I got terrible stuttering. There are so many variables that you can change it's like guessing the correct combination to a lock. Eventually you might get lucky and the game will work. This may be one of the reasons console games are gaining in popularity. Nothing to configure, set up, load, etc. Just plug it in, turn it on and play. Now where is the fun in that eh?

Shadowmeph February 11, 2013 10:49 AM

there is a write up on how this game has allot of problems here
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Review - GameSpot.com

r0bc February 12, 2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 689941)
there is a write up on how this game has allot of problems here
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Review - GameSpot.com

My god has it ever.
777 Studios is doing the sequel

enaberif February 12, 2013 10:25 PM

Try one of these:
x86: Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
x64: Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) from Official Microsoft Download Center

KaptCrunch February 13, 2013 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
also in your steam account verifi your game install by right click properties of game icon