Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2013, 10:12 PM
Top Prospect

Default Suggestions for forgiving/beginner platformers.

I'm trying to find some good PC platformers for my daughters. I tried to start them on what I had thought would be a fun game, Giana Sisters, but upon playing it I find it unforgiving, so I fully expect them to have a hard time with it and they are asking for help. So now I'm wondering about a simpler game for them, or at least a more forgiving one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, what has been the experience of some of the other parents out there as far as kids and gamepads vs. keyboard? My kids are finding it difficult to figure out finger placement on a keypad, which I can understand but really don't remember that adjustment period; too many hours playing WC on the keyboard I guess. Are gamepads more intuitive for kids?
Old January 24, 2013, 05:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Gamepads seem to be more intuitive for kids. My 9 year old will play Psychonauts on the PC only with the XBox 360 controller for PC. She'll play simple point and click with the mouse games, sometime ones that only require one or two keyboard keys, but prefers using the controller when ever possible.

I wouldn't call Psychonauts a beginner platformer though, not really sure what to suggest there.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My two year old excels on a tablet. He plays puzzle games intended for a much older audience. He even flys around in pew pew with no instruction and figured it out on his own. Where tablet gaming seems sluggish for gaming and not very accurate to me its the most forgiving platform I have seen him pick up.

In comparison he just identifies buttons on the keyboard and/or pushes random buttons. and I have not even tried a controller with him. He also is able to interact with the kenect systems fairly well, but I would say the tablet is the better out of the two.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How old are your daughters? My eleven year old loves Spore. That game would also be appropriate for younger kids (5-6, maybe?). There's lots of bright colours, the controls are simple, and you can't die. I mean, you can die, but you get born as a new, identical creature right away without losing any progress. So, basically, you can't die.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 24, 2013, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My almost 4 year old definitely has an easier time with no keyboard. She has fun with kinect from time to time, loves playing games on my iPhone, her innotab, or my wife's touchpad. The only thing she will really play on a computer is some online games that are basically move the mouse and click. From my experience a tablet is the way to go for kids.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

My 2 year old loves the tablet also ...it was a birthday present to the gf but since he has claimed it
Old January 24, 2013, 07:56 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Super Meat boy is a must have. Limbo and Scribblenauts are the most popular at the moment. I played Braid on steam a while back and recommend it.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:07 AM
Top Prospect

How is Scribblenauts for difficulty? I should have clarified, my girls are 4 and 5, love the Playbook and iPods but when I'm working or surfing on the computer they think that it's the best thing ever, so I'm looking to accommodate them. I think that SMB, Braid, Psychonauts and Limbo (and, for that matter PB Winterbottom) are above their pay grade at the moment, because when I let them play I don't mind helping a little, but getting called every few minutes is annoying. I had forgotten about Spore, is that an Origin game now? I have a disk copy somewhere, but I could probably pick up a copy on Origin with the DLCs for cheaper than the time it would take to find the product key. Also, does anyone have any experience with the Oddworld games? I'm also considering Beyond Good and Evil, Tiny and Big. I should really go through my old binders too to see if anything would work.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am going to off topic here , one thing that I have noticed in the past 10 yrs is that more and more children and teens spend IMPO way way to much time playing games on PC's and phones so much so that they seem to be missing out what is actually out there. This worries me allot. yrs ago I think that it was a big mistake that I taught my back then 5 yr nephew how to play Power ranges on an old sega system that I used to play with on days when the weather was really bad and nothing today. Now days that same nephew of mine does work come home play PC games all night then goes and takes a math class that he needs for some other course. goes home plays more pC games sleeps 2-4 hrs goes towork then repeats the whole thing again. his interpersonal skills are vary limited and of course I blame myself for this becasue he always looked up to me. this I hope isn't a sign of what our future is going to be like.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I am going to off topic here , one thing that I have noticed in the past 10 yrs is that more and more children and teens spend IMPO way way to much time playing games on PC's and phones so much so that they seem to be missing out what is actually out there. This worries me allot. yrs ago I think that it was a big mistake that I taught my back then 5 yr nephew how to play Power ranges on an old sega system that I used to play with on days when the weather was really bad and nothing today. Now days that same nephew of mine does work come home play PC games all night then goes and takes a math class that he needs for some other course. goes home plays more pC games sleeps 2-4 hrs goes towork then repeats the whole thing again. his interpersonal skills are vary limited and of course I blame myself for this becasue he always looked up to me. this I hope isn't a sign of what our future is going to be like.
I agree, we limit our son's access to the tablets. Trying to find that balance might be a bit of a learning curve for us. We purge videos on it when we notice him watching videos more then doing the educational/problem solving games. We are careful what games/videos go onto the tablets. I think he has accelerated in a few things because of the tablets... its just like anything else, with moderation it can be beneficial and a good tool.