Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Connecting to Steam servers (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/59192-connecting-steam-servers.html)

stoanee January 17, 2013 10:30 AM

Connecting to Steam servers

Trying to connect to Steam after not using it for ages but it will not let me. I am on power line networking, will that be a problem? I will go try my lappy on wireless to see if it can connect but it is not really gaming capable. Any tips?

*edit* cannot connect with lappy either............:blarg:

headsh0t January 17, 2013 11:07 AM

So... What happens when you try logging in? Error messge? Have you tried just logging in through a web browser?

SKYMTL January 17, 2013 12:30 PM

If it has been several months, you will need to input a PIN number.

stoanee January 17, 2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 684981)

Bingo! At first it would not connect at all but I was finally sent a pin #. Now to polish up what are sure to be rusty reflexes...:haha:

Soultribunal January 17, 2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 684981)

Yuppers, they will send an Email to the addy you linked with a number to re-initialize the account.

-ST

stoanee January 17, 2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 684985)
Yuppers, they will send an Email to the addy you linked with a number to re-initialize the account.

-ST

I blame folding for my inactivity....

On2wheels January 18, 2013 03:16 PM

I think I'm having that issue someone posted months ago: booting off SSD is too fast for the LAN driver to engage, so Steam can't connect on the first try. Was it resolved, and how?

SKYMTL January 19, 2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On2wheels (Post 685163)
I think I'm having that issue someone posted months ago: booting off SSD is too fast for the LAN driver to engage, so Steam can't connect on the first try. Was it resolved, and how?

I have the same thing. I don't know of a solution other than to move the primary Steam boot files back to the HDD.

lowfat January 19, 2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On2wheels (Post 685163)

I use Startup Delayer to delay Steam from starting for 15 seconds after boot.

Perineum January 19, 2013 11:37 AM

Or make the steam service (if it is one) have a dependency on the network or whatever, but I forget how to do that right now....

edit: here it is:

Quote:

1.Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es and locate the service that you need to set a dependency for.
2.Open the 'DependOnService' key on the right side. If the selected service does not have a 'DependOnService' key, then create one by right-clicking and selecting New > Multi-String Value.
3.In the value field, enter the names of all services that the current service will depend on. Each service name must be entered properly and on a separate line.
4.Click OK, close your registry and restart your machine.
Or...

Try doing the following and see how you get on:

1. Open the appropriate Group Policy object for the computer or computers on which you want to implement the change.
  2. In the left pane, click to expand the following items:
    • Computer Configuration
    • Administrative Templates
    • System
    • Logon
  3. Double-click the Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon setting.
  4. Click Enable, and then click OK.