Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2013, 07:29 AM
Allstar

Default In my 40's and I'm addicted to an iphone game , do I need therapy ?

What the hell is wrong with me ?

My 10 year old suggested that I try this game and I found it as addictive as cocaine. Clash of Clans is the culprit and I'm part of a mature clan base called Great Brits 2 and our Clan leader is on this gaming chat line almost all day.

Her clan setup is in the picture. Question is should I go to rehab before I get a surprise at my home for a family intervention ?
Attached Images

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; January 17, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Where is the VG.A. meeting?
Hi my name is David and I'm 58 and am addicted to video games. Got a Playbook for Christmas and spend way too much time driving my virtual racing car around the track.

:)

Remember: Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 17, 2013, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes.......
Old January 17, 2013, 08:22 AM
Allstar

[QUOTE=fortkentdad;684898]Where is the VG.A. meeting?
Hi my name is David and I'm 58 and am addicted to video games. Got a Playbook for Christmas and spend way too much time driving my virtual racing car around the track.

:)

Remember: Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted.[/QUOTE

My wife saw this posting and sent me an email

Quote:
Why won't my loved one acknowledge that he/she has a problem?

A person with an drug problem often does not recognize or at least admit that he/she has a problem. Usually by the time the person's use has become a problem evidenced by undesirable consequences, the person has become dependent on drugs.

Do not get stuck on the words. The bottom line is that DRUGS KILL PEOPLE EVERY DAY.

A drug can be defined as "any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals.” While some drugs - prescription drugs and in some states marijuana - may be purchased legally in our society when used in such a way that a person becomes dependent on them, drugs can and do kill.

The challenge with getting someone who has become dependent on drugs to be open to getting help is two-fold:

The person's thinking is not clear so they are not able to make logical decisions; and
drug impacts the brain in a way that the brain signals the body that it constantly needs more drugs in order to feel "normal.”

Through the process of taking/using drugs, the person's tolerance level increases which means they need to take more of the drug for them to achieve the feeling they seek. Sometimes when the drugs they've been using no longer "work” for them, they switch to another drug as they chase a feeling. Through this process, they become more dependent on drugs…eventually leading to their own downward spiral. For this reason, drug dependence can be described as the "disease of more” – nothing is ever enough, they constantly want more of everything, especially drugs.

CHEERS
Old January 17, 2013, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Haha. I think you'll be ok. I went through a few week phase playing hill climb on my phone and made it out ok (I think).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 17, 2013, 09:28 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Haha. I think you'll be ok. I went through a few week phase playing hill climb on my phone and made it out ok (I think).

According to my psychologist, I have to tell my friends ( forum members as well ) to not mention any other addictive substance....I mean games.

CHEERS
Old January 17, 2013, 10:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That game looks freakin' awesome.Seriously
Old January 17, 2013, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm 44. But I will never succumb to flash based/mobile games! NEVER! YOU HEAR ME? NEVER!!
Old January 17, 2013, 01:24 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I'm 44. But I will never succumb to flash based/mobile games! NEVER! YOU HEAR ME? NEVER!!
We understand....friend. Relax, take off your shoes....that's it...now lie back and look at this image...good boy...relax and repeat after me....flash games are our friends.

"flash games are my friend, FlasH GameS are my FREind, FLASH GAMES ARE MY FRIEND, ARGHHHHHH!!!"

Good boy, now gently hold the device....and play...slowwwwwwwly.

CHEERS
Old January 17, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
We understand....friend. Relax, take off your shoes....that's it...now lie back and look at this image...good boy...relax and repeat after me....flash games are our friends.

"flash games are my friend, FlasH GameS are my FREind, FLASH GAMES ARE MY FRIEND, ARGHHHHHH!!!"

Good boy, now gently hold the device....and play...slowwwwwwwly.

Is this game the only thing you are addicted to?

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware