Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default The Old Republic Free to play

Is a complete joke. I reinstalled this to 1 finish off my character and do another 1 or 2 at my leasure without having to pay. I boot it up, create a new character to get back into it gently, realise I haven't actually unlocked other races with legacy so I go through with my Jedi, play a little then go to see what other classes offer. BUT NO, 2 character max with no way to expand that besides getting a subscription.

I google extensively and find out what other limitations there are, hadn't bothered before because I figured I would just work around them but EVERYTHING is limited to the extreme. Free to play is a misnomer, it is still very much either a subscription game or a pay to win and I am very disappointed in EA once again.

Hell I just about would have payed for more character slots, what kind of bullshit makes you delete characters to give you a new one. But you cant even play the game without putting money into it feels like and all I wanted was to just play the stories through....
Old November 30, 2012, 06:45 AM
Top Prospect

Should have made KOTOR 3, Are the stories any good and can you solo through them? I stopped paying attention to this game once I heard it was an mmo.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:09 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I think I was the only guy on the planet who didn't know that it was MMO before I purchased it... man was I pissed when I got it. I never played even one minute, so it just sits there in its box.

Old November 30, 2012, 08:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I remember laughing in everyone's faces when they were DROOLING over this game simply because of a kick-ass trailer.

Well, here's the reality check: Bioware screwed the pooch on ANOTHER title....as I predicted.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah, everything you can do wrong with releasing a game, they did it.

The worse part was when they were going through all the same crap WoW went through because they said they didn't want to be like WoW. So instead of taking the lessons Blizz learned a decade ago they just went ahead and made the same stupid ass mistakes and ran off their entire sub base.

Good Job EA and BW, you are earning the world dumbest game producers award yet AGAIN.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

$100 says that when the next Bioware title comes around, same same people will be sucked in with yet another great trailer that doesn't have anything to do with actual gameplay.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:33 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
$100 says that when the next Bioware title comes around, same same people will be sucked in with yet another great trailer that doesn't have anything to do with actual gameplay.
Not I, I'm done with Bioware. They put more time into trailer production than game planning. I don't know why they don't just start making movies about games, they'd make a fortune.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

After Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 and TOR I will not be purchasing another Bioware title. Thing is I didn't even think the trailers for ME3 were all that good.

And as for the stories in TOR, they are decent but they are drawn out due to having to grind to get the levels to be able to do them, you cant just do the stories. And when I'm only willing to put a few hours in a week to the game the subscription makes no sense at all.

And yeah, KOTOR3 would have much better. I don't think I could care less about MMOs at this point
Old November 30, 2012, 09:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think Bioware were sucked into thinking they could take on WoW. "Hey, we've got a better IP with billions of fans, let's make a MMO and make tons of money!" They could have released each character storyline as an independent game for the money they spent developing this pig.

When I was playing right after release, you could solo the main story lines. Grouping up helped though.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For us it was the endless glitches with the game that made it completely unplayable. I was so disappointed with this game, plus the fact it scaled like a POS with Crossfire and SLI that both my system and my wives always messed up and looked like garbage playing the game.

Wish there was some good MMO's out these days but guess single player games and FPS's are in my future again