Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   What's the best HDTV for PC gaming? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/57881-whats-best-hdtv-pc-gaming.html)

GENG November 14, 2012 12:08 AM

What's the best HDTV for PC gaming?

im looking to play my pc games on a large screen TV (minimum 40 inches). what do you think is the BEST gaming TV i can get today? ($2500 or under)

supaflyx3 November 14, 2012 12:27 AM

A PC monitor.

GENG November 14, 2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 670711)
A PC monitor.

no wonder you have so many posts - they're all useless spam

supaflyx3 November 14, 2012 01:21 AM

That's a legitimate post, unless you're 15' away from your TV its going to look terrible. Just get a 30" monitor.

muse108dc November 14, 2012 01:51 AM

I'm going to second the monitor. Get a proper Dell 30 inch if you want it bigger, those monitors are drop dead amazing. A TV will never compare to a proper PC monitor.

If you insist on a TV your most likely looking at 120HZ and I dunno, are TVs that different?

Generic User #2 November 14, 2012 03:09 AM

TVs aren't honestly that different....I mean, I think there's more variations in screws than in TVs.

There's not really such a thing as a gaming TV...they're just TVs. Buy the one that meets your color, price, and longevity requirements.

On2wheels November 14, 2012 04:11 AM

I have this one LCD TV | LG 47LK520, Full HD 1080P, 120Hz, Smart Energy Saving | LG Electronics Canada and used it a few times on my pc. I'm no expert, but I like to think my eyes can see jitter and screen flaws, and this one came out the best when I was shopping for tv's last xmas. bestbuy doesn't even list it for sale anymore so there could be better ones out, I paid $700 i think.
If you're concerned about picture adjustment, this one lets you do ISF calibration, but has a good wizard to get you close enough on your own. This forum will keep you busy for days, like it did for me Home Theater Gaming

I agree that it is nice to see your games on a screen this size, and I'd use it more if my house was accommodating, but 30' HDMI and speaker wires aren't pretty when left lying around.

edit: when sitting back on the couch, I found I was still almost too far from the screen to see all the small details, nor did I feel there was latency or lag that disturbed my experience, in fact I would argue it's very perceptible to most people at all.

SKYMTL November 14, 2012 05:13 AM

I would say the best in terms of actual image reproduction would likely be the Panasonic 50-series. The 50" GT50 has a Game Mode which reduces input latency to around 25ms but remember that plasmas still suffer from image retention after prolonged static images (ie: inventory bar, menu, etc.).

Some of the other mid-range and upper echelon LED TVs have a Game Mode as well but I have found them to degrade image quality more than Panasonic's mode. They don't however suffer image retention but black levels, uniformity and in some cases color reproduction is miles behind plasma.

There are positives and negatives to both situations. I do however have to caution people about randomly saying "buy a PC monitor" as many people want an all-in-one device for their living rooms and a PC monitor just isn't big enough for that.