Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Default Triple Projector 3D Vision system

GeForce GTX 590 Triple Projector Ultimate Panoramic 3D Gaming Experience NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

I've seen this video from Linus about Triple Projector 3D Vision. As i want to build a stereoscopic 3D CAVE projected system that uses NVidia 3D Vision Surround tech with both Direct 3D and OpenGL applications i was wandering about the whole input/output thing.

I see here they've adapted the DVI exits of the GTX 590 to the HDMIs of Acer Projectors.

Let's consider other graphic cards, is it possible to adapt also DVIs or Display Ports to VGA or HDMI?

I'm really not getting the whole adapting thing...

thanks

Nicola

Last edited by Nicola87; October 16, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Amazing stealth projectors. Can't see them at all. :)
Old October 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Rookie

LoL where's my thread?!
Old October 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Here it is:

GeForce GTX 590 Triple Projector Ultimate Panoramic 3D Gaming Experience NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

Would like to build something like that, much more complex!

Now that Nvidia added support for Quad-Display on the new k5000 Quadro graphic card (and i hope also to those Kepler's that are still to come) i'm trying to figure out how to build a stereoscopic 3D CAVE projected system that uses NVidia 3D Vision Surround tech with both Direct 3D and OpenGL applications.

On the Nvidia web site you can find out (about k5000 Quadro graphic card):

Quote:
Quad-Display Support in the All-new display engine drives up to four displays simultaneously and fully supports the next generation Display Port 1.2 standard capable of resolutions such as 3840x2160 @60Hz, making it easy to deploy multiple displays across a desktop, build an expansive digital signage wall, or create a sophisticated stereoscopic 3D CAVE environment.

Quadro K5000 Graphics Card With Kepler | NVIDIA UK

Anyway, i'm not getting how i'm supposed to connect the graphic card to 3 (or even 4!) 3D Vision Ready projectors, as, for what i see, they all have VGA and/or HDMI inputs. I'm aware there's no DVI-1080p 3D Vision Ready projector on the market till now, and i can live whit that, but i thought there should be at least one DVI-720p (or about that) projector available! I'm also aware of the fact i can adapt a DVI-I to VGA with a standard adapter and that should work fine with 3D Vision. But what about the Display Ports on the graphic card? Not to talk about the DVI-D which seems really useless whit 3D Vision Ready projectors...

So, i'm stocked here thinking about a solution, because if they say you can build a stereoscopic 3D CAVE environment i guess there's a way to do that...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nicola
Old October 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Darnn, I was hoping for pics of a cool gaming setup... Whats goin on? lol
Old October 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I believe it has to do with your post count and the spam bot .

in short it protects the site from drive by spamming , you will have no problem once you get your post count up probably over 10 posts

Old October 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Rookie

Thanks god..i believed i was stupid!

Anyway i've got some doubts about the triple projector configuration...

If i'm not wrong the GTX 590 is connected to Acer H5360 3D Vision Ready projectors through HDMIs. But the GTX has only DVI ports, so i guess they are using DVI to HDMI adapters...
Is it possible to do the same thing adapting DVIs or DPs to VGAs or HDMIs inputs commonly used on projectors?

I'm really not getting the whole adapting thing, which are the possibilities?

As far as i know these adapters are allowed with 3D vision:

- You can adapt a DVI-I to VGA (single DVI or even more than one?)
- You can adapt a DP to HDMI, BUT only trough a few active adapters
- You can adapt a DVI-I or DVI-D to HDMI (trough standard adapters?)
Old October 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

FYI, anyone with under 5 posts that post a link automatically go into moderation and must be approved before anyone can see it. This helps avoid spambots filling the boards. It might be confusing for a new member, but lets us catch 95% of the spam before it gets plastered all over the board.
Old October 17, 2012, 02:40 AM
Rookie

No problem...thanks for the explanation! ;)
Old October 17, 2012, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Got some news from NVidia support...it seems i can adapt either DVD-I or DP to VGA or HDMI and get my "generic" projected surround config to work.

mmmh...i'm not so confident, even if it's 720p...

Anyway NVidia costumer support said that "3D Vision surround is not supported on Quadro cards" that's why i say "generic". I'm wondering what that means...is he referring to the fact that the "brand" 3D Vision Surround is valid only for GeForce cards? Is this just a commercial distinction or there's some problem running Direct3D applications in full screen mode with Quadro cards whith a S3D surround config??

Last edited by Nicola87; October 17, 2012 at 04:25 PM.