Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2012, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Star Citizen Ships Development Document | Roberts Space Industries

more details on the actual ships and we've hit 2.5 now lets keep it going.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I wonder if they will hit 4m in the end.
Old November 13, 2012, 05:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Just throught I'd refresh this a little again. 2 new videos added yesterday and we are now in the final week. We look good to go on 4 mil but just how far can we get past that now is the question.

also feel free to use this link to pledge,Star Citizen | Roberts Space Industries
Old November 15, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

And we have our first ship. The RSI Constellation Mk3. Introducing the RSI Constellation Mk3 | Roberts Space Industries

Has a crew of 4, 2 turrets, lots of guns, mini fighter, and looks badass. And it can be yours for a pledge of only $250.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

How in the world is a single player going to control THAT?

I'm also concerned that now it looks like they've added an FPS element. Yuck!

Last edited by SKYMTL; November 15, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
Allstar

I"m with you on this on Skymtl.

Hope they don't kill some kind of single player mode as that would be the only reason I'd want to play it.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old November 15, 2012, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

I will admit I'm a little nervous about the FPS BUT you have to remember that this is being built on the Cryengine so the FPS stuff is mostly a freebe, according to chris anyways, just more work put into guns. Modify the guns a bit. I honestly dont expect to see it happening too much mostly due to the requirements for boarding someone. It'll most likely be irrelevant until capital ships really get introduced which at the moment is not at launch.

As for controlling that, I dunno but I sure want to try.
Old November 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

To be honest with you, the FPS element has now stopped me from from offering up more of my money to this project. I was going to buy another $60 pack for a friend as a Christmas gift but that's not happening anymore. I'm actually thinking of withdrawing my initial pledge as well.

There's a saying that goes "jack of all trades, master of none". To me, that is exactly what's happening here. Instead of fleshing out additional focal gameplay elements they are now building in a second level of intricacy which will either suck because of the game's supposed focus upon space combat or it will detract from the primary focus of the title. This doesn't sit right with me at all.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

I understand to a degree, for me this will be 100% a space sim. But this is Cryengine, an engine designed primarily FOR fps, Cytek has done all the heavy lifting for the fps, all Chris really has to do for it is skin up a few of the guns, give them nice energy effects and voila done.

The only reason that Chris didnt show off the FPS stuff at the launch video was that a Scar would have looked out of place. FPS was always going to happen in the S42 missions from what I have read, its just being expanded a degree to help immersion, and appeal to a large part of the community as well, first thing one of my friends asked when I told him about this was about boarding and if it was possible.

Boarding other ships is going to be extremely hard, you need to upgrade your ship specifically for it, then you have to be able to completely disable the enemy ship without them just shutting down systems to play possum and then only ships like the Constellation and above can be boarded. Its not going to be a focus of the game and its not really going to become relevant until you get bigger, capital ships, if you have a Hornet or the like you will not see it at all.

Also they've added some Freelancer artwork as well, you can vote on which design they will end up using. Personally I'm option 1
Old November 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

We've now flown by 4million and well on our way to 5 which will add more systems (up to 70 at that point), celebrity voice actors from Wing Commander, AND most importantly will add Alien Derelicts as a new type of base. In addition to other stuff. 5.5 million will add the Carrier from the original trailer into the game as an ownable ship. 4.5 million in the short term will add all the hard core sim stuff you could imagine as well as unlocking kickstarter goals as well.

A pirate ship option was also added and can be yours for 110 (addon) to 125, as well as some pirate skins AND the ability to name a system for 5000.

In addition to all that you can now subscribe to receive more insight into the development cycle, there are 10 and 20 dollar options per month.

Final stretch now