Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
MVP

This game will be more a spiritual successor to Privateer and Freelancer and much less a new Wing Commander--which was one dimensional compared to the other two. I really enjoyed Freelancer. It could have been something special with better funding.

This is a good time to pay homage to the game that laid the foundation for this genre: Gamasutra - Features - The History of Elite: Space, the Endless Frontier
Old October 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Looks interesting! I was always a big fan of Freespace/Freespace 2 so this seems like it would be fun. However, I'm a little confused as to the actual style of gameplay. I.E. Its called a sim, but it has currency and upgrading like an MMORPG?

Also, if it lets me fly (for the first time) big ships, or huge ships, or Anything crazy like that (I love piloting) then this game will get my money right away. But thus far the biggest ship reference is along the lines of a Millenium Falcon... which isn't all that big compared to (droooooool) that carrier. For me its kinda like being (male equivalent) Ibanez from Starship Troopers "Hmmm, huge ship? Why not try a barrel roll anyways?" haha.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Eh, I think that Wing Commander will always be the my space sim and that this just takes that and elevates it to a whole new level. WC was the space combat that this will build upon. Yes its going to add many other layers onto it but its still mostly you flying a spaceship.

I'm also hoping to be able to fly and pilot the HUGE GIGANTIC ships like the carrier. Though personally I'm hoping for a dreadnaught. Imagine the types of battles you could have. Bring in a a small fleet of a selection of carriers/frigates/dreadnaught on both sides and then the fighters and bombers swarming about. I think I may just go sit in a dark corner while I imagine that with those graphics.

But the strangest thing is that this is actually a MMO that I'm getting excited about.

And Sky I'm wondering where the names got mixed up? Anvil Aerospace Hornet is the Wingnut ship while Lancer gets MISC Freelancer so the names seem fine.

On second thought, I'm off to go play my GOG version of one of the Wing Commanders.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
On second thought, I'm off to go play my GOG version of one of the Wing Commanders.
Ditto, time to find my Freespace 2 from GOG and get playing
Old October 11, 2012, 08:41 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, my favorite game in this genre is a tie between Freespace 2 and Starlancer.

If you guys are into emulators, I HIGHLY suggest you try the Colony Wars series that was available on the Playstation. To me, those games provided one of THE BEST (pure) space combat experiences around. Plus, nothing beats James Earl Jones as a narrator.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think it's really cool how you can just be a trader/explorer if that is what you desire. Reminds me of back in UO how some people did only mining/blacksmithy.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:15 PM

As long as this game is SINGLE PLAYER focused and has an actual story mode, I'll be happy as a pig in shit.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
As long as this game is SINGLE PLAYER focused and has an actual story mode, I'll be happy as a pig in shit.
quoted for absolute truth.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
From what I gathered from the video but correct me if I'm wrong there is a single player campaign and after you pass that you have access to a huge open world which I think is MMO.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
From what I gathered from the video but correct me if I'm wrong there is a single player campaign and after you pass that you have access to a huge open world which I think is MMO.
I am actually hoping the open world is single player. Sort of like the X-series.