Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2012, 06:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default F1 2012

Any F1 fans here?
Am I the only one who's disappointed with it after the great F1 2011?
Old October 2, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

I havent picked it up yet so I'm wondering what your disapointed in. I've heard about the going off track doing something funny to your engine and chronic understeer which this season sounds really strange. But is it really not worthwhile picking up?
Old October 3, 2012, 04:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It's so much less challenging than 2011. The cars feel like they're on rails.. In F1 2011 if you turn too hard you'd spin (as should) while in 2012 you'll just understeer. There barely any wheelspin even in 1st (with all aids off, ofc). And once you get used to the weird physics the game becomes easy and boring. I'll stick with 2011 unless they will dramatically change the new game. My guess is that they have tried to appeal to a wider audience with 2012, who are not seasoned sim drivers... but challenge is what F1 is all about! The arcade drivers can and should stick to NFS/Dirt/Burnout and other many games which already fill their needs.
I'd put it this way - If you liked 2011 you won't like 2012, but if you've liked 2010 more then you might like 2012.

Last edited by GT7R; October 3, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old October 3, 2012, 05:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just hope someone gets the hand on some modding tools to rework the game physics, its kinda of a shame since it had official content.
Old October 3, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

thats disappointing. I liked 2011 and was hoping 2012 would be another step up. The under steer is really disappointing, this year the cars lost so much rear end grip and for that to not translate into the game. Especially when the assists are off. Appealing to the masses is one thing and I think stuff like the young drivers test and some of the other additions sound great BUT to add that in at the expense of the higher end, the sim end, I find deplorable. And by the sounds of it this running off the track punishment is outrageous, running off the track should possibly give you a penalty but otherwise I bet you are going to lose more time than youll gain anyways.

I was really hoping for 2011 but with a much better AI and more realistic objectives. I disliked being in a lotus being told that I was suppose to qualify and finish somewhere no lotus could ever actually finish in real life and then at the start being able to gain 10+ places on the first lap only to hold up the pack massively afterwards. I was hoping for better in 2012. Also possibly more friendly penalties when it came to curbs. Was any of this accomplished? Oh, and engines, the possibility to pick what engine you are going to use pre practice that annoyed me that I wasted engine percentages because I had no choice....

I dont mind that they are cutting back on the sessions though, I've played the long weekend every time but even then I replay sessions as it is so I guess it doesn't really matter in the big picture.

Codemasters is starting to worry me, I thought when I heard they were going pure racing that there was real potential there but now with Grid2 not having cockpit and 2012 trying to appeal more to the masses....

I'll still pick up 2012 but not till a sale now I think, I still am enjoying 2011 and I havent even gotten to the top teams or a championship yet.
Old October 3, 2012, 01:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Grid 2 will not have cockpit cam?!
Old October 3, 2012, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nop, they say the 5% people that use it are not worth :p

Codemaster remove 'incar' view from GRiD 2 as only 5% use it. - Giant Bomb
Old October 3, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

As someone who uses nothing but the cockpit camera I felt outraged when I first read it and had to check about 5 other sources before I believed it. Removing that just removed any sim feelings it might have had, at least in my books and killed the purchase for me sadly. Grid1 was my gateway drug into racing as well so it really disappointed me.

The thing I dont understand about it is that the last EA Need for Speed Shift2, they put so much work into the cockpit camera (its just too bad they didnt put more effort into the rest of the game)
Old October 4, 2012, 01:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Here's another good title going the Need for Speed way... From the good 1-5 (for their time, ofc) NFS titles to the crap we have these days...
Old October 4, 2012, 04:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

it really is sad that NFS use to be the great when it came to racing games and now its sort of slang for arcade. Hopefully codemasters gets its priorities in order soon and corrects this downward turn its taking.