Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2006, 05:08 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Default PS3 problems abound as second batch to hit shelves in December

While Sony is preparing to deliver its second batch of PS3 game consoles in December, consumers who are currently enjoying the new gaming device reportedly have encountered problems with the console, including overheating, inability to start up the console, and a lower display resolution from its Blu-ray Disc (BD) player, according to market sources. Problems related to overheating and inability to start the machine were reported since the PS3 launched in mid-November.

Check out the rest of the article at Digitimes.
Old November 30, 2006, 12:29 AM
Top Prospect

we'll see how the PS3 problems compare to the X360 problems.

Although Sony seems to get the majority of the bad press recently, I've heard multiple accounts of people getting the "red rings of death" on the 360's after playing a spirited game of GOW - also the optical drive has a nasty habit of gouging discs randomly too...

who knows, it does seem like this gen on consoles has many more problems than any other. I mean my SNES still plays anything I throw into it and that's a launch unit going on 15+ years!
Old November 30, 2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNESCO View Post
we'll see how the PS3 problems compare to the X360 problems.

Although Sony seems to get the majority of the bad press recently, I've heard multiple accounts of people getting the "red rings of death" on the 360's after playing a spirited game of GOW - also the optical drive has a nasty habit of gouging discs randomly too...

who knows, it does seem like this gen on consoles has many more problems than any other. I mean my SNES still plays anything I throw into it and that's a launch unit going on 15+ years!
I think there is such a rush beat the competition to market that they don't do proper product dev. & testing. I can't see how you couldn't catch an overheating or gouging disc problem. I know these problems don't affect all units but it does seem to be a pretty wide spread problem.
Old December 11, 2006, 08:33 PM
Misoprostol

Well besides people throwing their Wii-motes into TVs I haven't heard of any problem with the Wii, so it's not fair to say that this whole generation of consoles is plagued by problems.
Old March 2, 2007, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Well i finally bought myself a PS3 last week form Rogers Video of all places. The first thing i noticed after i plugged it in and fired it up was within 2 minutes it was so warm i wasn't sure if this was an issue or if it was to heat like this. I had to stand it Vertical. However it does not change the game play and everything else seems top notch just wish they offered more games in full 1080 and also still having some issues connecting it thru my router which is a pain as i now have to disconnect router and go directly to the modem. I have tried everything i could possibly think of..tried inputting the mac address and filtering for just mac address , reset the router to default options, tried wired and wireless..however i have not contacted Sony as of yet to see whats up as im sure they will sluff me off on D-Link. Anyone else who own the PS3 have any troubles connecting at first. And yes i have done all system updates as this was the first thing done before any settings were played with. Wireless i can see my router just wont connect even tried using WEP key. Im open for suggestions as it is a pain to disconnect the router and go directly to the modem, especially when the wifey is doing school work and needs the wireless connection when i want to play. Cheers.
Old March 2, 2007, 05:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It won't connect to the router wirelessly, or does it connect but not access the `net?

If it's the latter, check out the info here about opening the proper port.....

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; March 2, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old March 2, 2007, 05:08 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Haven't had any problems with mine....
Old March 2, 2007, 05:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you connect with ethernet, can you see the ps3 in your router config software? If so.... same thing it sounds like your ports aren't open properly.

BTW.... Welcome to Hardwarecanucks D1GGY! :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; March 2, 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old March 2, 2007, 05:32 PM
Rookie

sswilson, Thanks for the link i will have to check it out after work. I have a networking background and figured this would be easy as all my friends have stated they had no issues with there. I can see the network wirelessy wont connect. When I'm wired up no go at all. I will check the link and see if i have to open ports which is weird as i have heard from friends they got in no problem. I hope to have this resolved this weekend. Also glad to be part of the boards. Cheers. Ill post updated info Monday once this is complete.
Old March 2, 2007, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Well even though i was not having the same issues with most people on that link you sent me i opened up that port and connected like nothing. Not sure if it was the D-Link or what but my friends all have Linksys and they didn't have to do that so who know's. But thank you very much for the link and this makes things so much more better. Cheers.