Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Wii U Launch Date and Pricing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/56691-wii-u-launch-date-pricing.html)

headsh0t September 13, 2012 03:06 PM

Wii U Launch Date and Pricing

Wii U coming to America Sunday, November 18 | Ars Technica

Quote:

Nintendo's Wii U will launch November 18th in North America starting at $299.99, the company announced today during a New York City press conference.
Decent pricing I guess. What was the originally Wii priced at when it came out?

SKYMTL September 13, 2012 03:29 PM

I don't want to sound like I am trolling.....but this console will fail miserably. What a joke.

headsh0t September 13, 2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 655268)
I don't want to sound like I am trolling.....but this console will fail miserably. What a joke.

People were saying that of the original Wii, and it turned out to be great for Nintendo. Only time will tell though. Please elaborate on what you think will cause it to fail as well.

enaberif September 13, 2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 655269)
People were saying that of the original Wii, and it turned out to be great for Nintendo. Only time will tell though. Please elaborate on what you think will cause it to fail as well.

1) Controller is FARRRRRRRRRR larger and bulky.. think about woman and kids.
2) Only get 1 controller with the screen and you have to buy others if you want which I heard are in the $80-90 range

muse108dc September 13, 2012 06:10 PM

Yeah, I dont see this succeeding. The original Wii with its motion was different and interesting. This is just Nintendo trying to add a tablet into the mix and it will not end well. Its just going to be gimicky as hell and I just dont see it. Theres also the performance issue, it shouldnt have any trouble beating the Wii but if itll have enough to beat even the xbox or ps3 by much I'd be very surprised. Nintendo had a chance here to go back to basics, back to actual gaming, instead they just went more elaborate, more sideways than anything.

Dr_BenD_over September 13, 2012 06:24 PM

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conten...iiulaunch5.png

They say CoD BO2, but that really looks like a map from the free Ironwrath expansion for RvS

JD September 13, 2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 655291)
1) Controller is FARRRRRRRRRR larger and bulky.. think about woman and kids.

Precisely what my mom said today when she saw it in the Future Shop newsletter. "Why is the controller so big?"

Sorry Nintendo, people want motion tracking WITHOUT having to hold stuff.

Also if they don't hard-launch this with ample units in the channel, it's going to be an even harder struggle.

headsh0t September 14, 2012 03:50 PM

Eh controller looks alright, but yes it might be a bit bulky. Kids these days are all into touch screens and stuff so they'll be into it. People also need their fix of Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and all those classic Nintendo characters so I can't see the console doing too badly. It's also the first "next-gen" console to market this time and the others probably won't be available until a year after the Wii U. I also heard they are making Earthbound HD for the Wii which many people are excited about. Everyone's so pessimistic about the Wii U in this thread compared to the reactions I've seen on Reddit lol Also, the old Wii controllers can be used on the new system

[nK]Sharp September 14, 2012 06:04 PM

Hardly anything 'next gen' about it. I hate that term when people describe a console, it implies its technology is not already surpassed but obviously it is 100x better on the PC.

Unless apple made this thing I don't see it becoming popular. Having a tablet as a controller just seems bad and very unintuitive. Great for reading a book/magazine but playing a game... not so much.

supaflyx3 September 14, 2012 09:10 PM

I'm excited for it, I'll probably end up getting one.