Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Team Fortress 2 - Mann v Machine (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/56103-team-fortress-2-mann-v-machine.html)

On2wheels August 15, 2012 05:07 AM

Team Fortress 2 - Mann v Machine

Anyone trying this today? I likely won't be able to until tomorrow or Friday, looks fun tho.

edit: Well it didn't release until 9pm est, then took almost an hour to come in, all north american content servers were slow as hell. Austria came in as the winner.
But the game is severely hampered by hosting glitches, and lack of servers. my last attempt at joining a game had a 90minute wait according to matchmaking. Finally was able to spectate a few games, and it looks hectic, but alot of fun with friends. Hopefully by the weekend it's figured out.

What's involved in running my own dedicated server? Is it as simple as logging into a separate steam account on a new box and installing the client?

Leviathan- August 20, 2012 03:53 AM

I think you can do it on the same machine without having to get a second computer.

yohohobo August 20, 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On2wheels (Post 648590)
Anyone trying this today? I likely won't be able to until tomorrow or Friday, looks fun tho.

edit: Well it didn't release until 9pm est, then took almost an hour to come in, all north american content servers were slow as hell. Austria came in as the winner.
But the game is severely hampered by hosting glitches, and lack of servers. my last attempt at joining a game had a 90minute wait according to matchmaking. Finally was able to spectate a few games, and it looks hectic, but alot of fun with friends. Hopefully by the weekend it's figured out.

What's involved in running my own dedicated server? Is it as simple as logging into a separate steam account on a new box and installing the client?

You'll need lots of upstream bandwidth if you want to keep a fluid experience for your users. See here.

Keywork August 20, 2012 03:32 PM

Played several rounds yesterday with a buddy and had a great time! It's actually a lot of fun, especially if you have a good team and you play on advanced!

fireXtract August 20, 2012 05:22 PM

Its really fun because you get to wait for 2 and a 1/2 hours before you play :P

On2wheels August 20, 2012 06:13 PM

There's alot more empty servers now, and yeah it's fun with a good team. The trouble with the coop matchmaker is you wont know what difficulty you get if you pick 'all maps'.
And the bandwidth thing is right, my server gave everyone else a 800+ ping when the action started :)

Leviathan- August 20, 2012 06:14 PM

Isnt there too much trolling in the teams you guys picked up so far or am i just a unlucky guy :|

Stukka August 20, 2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireXtract (Post 649936)
Its really fun because you get to wait for 2 and a 1/2 hours before you play :P

this is the truth lol! we had a full guild group of 6 people and still had to wait 20 minutes for matchmaking.

On2wheels August 21, 2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stukka (Post 650039)
this is the truth lol! we had a full guild group of 6 people and still had to wait 20 minutes for matchmaking.

4 & 5 of us had to wait no more than 3 (valve minutes) on the timer, even though the listed 'available servers' is much higher now than on release when the wait time was as high as 90min.

Stukka August 22, 2012 01:40 AM

when we were a full group it took us probably 30 min real time to get going after the game started 3 time only to fail to connect to server. There were approx. 300+ empty servers at the time we were ready to go. Boggles my mind