Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2012, 12:40 AM
MVP

Default Any way to force origin to detect games?

I recently had to reinstall my OS, and I've got a couple games on origin, and Origin still seems to be the only company left in the proverbial stone age of not being able to auto detect installed games (and thus...wants to re-download and reinstall them)... apparently "they're working on a workaround" but windows' registry is a complicated thing to deal with (see EA Forums ) and yet, I remember being able to manually detect games on impulse back in like...2009
if its any help... my Origin is installed at D:\Windows7\Origin
and the directory it's pointing to (but can't read from apparently) is D:\Games\
Old August 10, 2012, 04:01 AM
Allstar

I think it's game dependent, could be wrong, but mine autodetected BFBC2, but would not detect Bulletstorm.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
MVP

Im not sure... It didn't detect BF3, dragon age 2, or ME2 (the only games that are in that folder and are all in my origin account)
Old September 15, 2013, 06:47 PM
Allstar

On a related note, at least the latest version of ORigin can be uninstalled and reinstalled without removing any games. I've found this out because the overlay in Dead Space 3 did not work for my existing Origin install (which happened to be the beta version if that mattered). A user in the EA forum said they fixed it by removing Origin and downloading the installer again. Sure enough, it worked for me, at least when the game was in windowed mode, the overlay worked again. At first it did not work at all, then it pushed the game to the background when an achievement popped up. But being able to remove the client without removing a game is kinda nice, for fixing EA's shit on our own.
Old September 16, 2013, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

Origin>application settings>Advance Tab>Change directory.

As far as backups are concerned, i always have issues with origin. I tend to download the first 1%, close origin completly then proceed to replace the folder with my backup of the game. (this in turn re-reads all the files and finalizes the install upon re-opening)

Not saying that these statements will directly help you, but maybe you can figure out a relatively less painful workaround.