Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   CPU or GPU problem? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/55891-cpu-gpu-problem.html)

chang2 August 4, 2012 07:15 AM

CPU or GPU problem?

Hi,

I play WoW and whenever im in a crowded area or in places with lots of action going on, my FPS drops very low.

My question is: would a GPU upgrade fix it or do I need to get both CPU and GPU?

I have a GTX 275 and Intel quad 9550 2.83ghz.

If I just upgraded GPU to a 6870, it would cost me 170. If i get new CPU also, I have to spend 300$ more\

thanks!

edit: I am running on 4gb ram. Do i need more?

sswilson August 4, 2012 07:49 AM

I stand to be corrected but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's neither. It's probably the Blizzard side servers.

JJThomp August 4, 2012 09:42 AM

is your CPU and GPU overclocked? if not I would pick up a cooler master hyper 212+ and overclock them both and see where you stand after that.

If this fixes your problem it will cost like $25

GT7R August 4, 2012 10:21 AM

Which resolution you're running at? Generally speaking, as mentioned at the posts above - you should be fine in both aspects, and besides, a 6870 is not a worthy upgrade over a 275 IMO.

Footman August 4, 2012 07:35 PM

First of all letting us know what your resolution is as well as how you game (FSAA and AF) will indicate if it is a GPU or CPU limitation.

Current games are more likely to be gpu and not cpu limited as they scale in resolution. If you are playing at 1920x1200 (1080) or higher, or use FSAA and AF then you are definitely GPU limited and need more video power.

You have a quad core cpu running at 2.8ghz it's not the newest or the fastest but it should be fine for gaming.

If you can stretch to it then forget the 6 series and move on to AMD's 7 series instead. It is more efficient and a better architecture.

Take a look at the 7850, although it is more expensive than the 6870 it will be more future proof and energy efficient and will provide great gaming at 1920x1200 and above.

yehia7000 August 4, 2012 08:37 PM

Your video card is old for ultra graphic settings and your cpu as well . try to replace your video card with gtx 670 or hd 7970 , 7950 and your cpu with i5 3570k

yehia7000 August 4, 2012 08:38 PM

if you dont have the money of hd 7950 , try hd 7870 . it is very fast for its price and much better than hd 6870

Dzzope August 4, 2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yehia7000 (Post 646636)
if you dont have the money of hd 7950 , try hd 7870 . it is very fast for its price and much better than hd 6870

Wow doesn't behave well with AMD cards (with AA on at least)

A GPU bump should help... but you'll be better off with a bigger bump than your considering... 660ti should be good and last you as long as your 275 but not be so high end that your cpu will limit it.

As said above.. OC the CPU too and you should be good to go.

With WOW, the more people there are with their sparly stuff on the more your computer has to render.. try turning some of the detail settings down (particle effects or the like that show more details in spells etc)

Even high end rigs take a FPS dump in cities when it's really busy but the question is if it's still playable? (raids and BG's would be better to look at as there is more happening and smoother game-play is more important)

P.S it will probably get worse with next patch as they tend to make some engine and graphics updates with major releases.
Though I think they are properly supporting 64 bit version too.

chang2 August 5, 2012 11:27 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I run at 1650x1050 (something like that). I want to upgrade my computer for the upcoming expansion which has updated graphics. I plan to run at Ultra (basically every possible graphic setting at max) when questing and 5man dungeons at 40-60FPS and I dont mind sacrificing FPS in raids.

After some research on the web, people say that WoW is a highly CPU dependent game.

I'm planning to upgrade to:
Intel 3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz with coolermaster fan for some mild overclocking.
As for the videocard, I think it will be a huge upgrade for 170$. The 7000 series is not within my budget.

On2wheels August 7, 2012 06:13 AM

My old(er) system always lagged hard in heavily populated areas of WoW, the cpu was and still is the bottleneck in my system.