Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2012, 01:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'd go with CPU -- the large number of units is going to be an issue, especially at that low resolution when playing WoW.

Friend runs a GTX 275 at 1080p and has no issues with low frame rates in crowded situations. The difference is that he's running it with an i7-920 (4.0 GHz) and 6 GB of DDR3-1600. I have the opposite situation, an E6600 (3.2 GHz) paired with 2 GB of DDR2-800 and a GTX 480. I can run on Ultra settings when there are few units, but suffer sharp FPS reductions with more than about 15 active units (players casting).

Relatively easy test is to manipulate the graphics settings. If your FPS suffers at all levels of graphics quality when there are large numbers of units on screen, then it's your CPU and RAM. If your FPS fluctuates with graphics quality, then it's your GPU.

WoW has some oddities in the coding, I've noticed. In the Cataclysm areas, my FPS is fine even in raids. Go into the Obsidium Sanctum and my display becomes a slideshow even if I turn all the graphic settings down to minimums.