Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default E-Sports

I was just wondering what you guys think of E-sports and where they are going in the future.

We all know the classics like Dota, CS, Star Craft but recently with the growth of streaming and popular games like League of Legends E-sports has become bigger today than I could have imagined 5 years ago.

Do you think e-sports will become mainstream TV programming? Large LoL tournaments already bring in more viewers than many T.V shows.

Or do you think that they will remain on live streaming clients but continue to grow?

I guess alternatively the fad could pass but that for me is hard to see with the recent rampant growth.

I personally think with the growth of video games and the quality of games that are coming out they should grow. However I also think the era of cable and satellite is over and soon everything will be streamed over the internet (most university students already only use the internet anyways).
Old July 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is definitively room for it to grow. Now I am not sure it will reach TV, but I will continue to watch streams of SC2 when the temperature will go down (read, when summer will pass).

I don't think most people are ready for TV shows of E-Sports even if its basicly the same as watching other sports, except that players actually earn an income that is sane. IMHO, that makes them more human (They don't earn as much as I do in a year or more for a single game).
Old July 15, 2012, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well I can imagine it being big even 5 years ago I knew it was going to grow big enough for tv hell even ESPN has picked it up and is streaming it .

CBS is contemplating putting it on the tube this season

USA network streams it so maybe one day they will put it on the air .

G4 has a video about it here it is growing and could very well be on the headlines beside MLB or NBA on ESPN

Quote:
I personally think with the growth of video games and the quality of games that are coming out they should grow. However I also think the era of cable and satellite is over and soon everything will be streamed over the internet (most university students already only use the internet anyways).
LOL that is true for old folks too .. actually I haven't had a TV in 20 years but I do watch some shows on the web and have been doing that for some years .

Last edited by Bloodystumps; July 15, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old July 15, 2012, 11:00 PM
Top Prospect

Well, they've got poker already on the sports networks. I dont see why not add esports which is popular among the new generation.
Old July 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

E sports is definitely on the rise and I think 100% it will eventually be televised here. Not sure how long that will be but I believe it will be. Look at PC gaming. It is bigger then ever. It is bigger then the music industry(I would have never guessed). It's at an all time high now that all the 80's baby nerds are all grown up and can afford to spend lots of money on gaming!