Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Really interesting concept that is trying to shake up the console market with this open source platform. It's already got quite an impressive backing on Kickstarter, reaching $2.7 million in just 2 days.

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console by OUYA — Kickstarter

Old July 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm that is quite interesting, will be interesting to see how that goes and potentially effects the PC gaming market/interest.

"Connect through usb or bluetooth", hmm this adds the possibility to game on this using the good ol keyboard and mouse rather then a controller.

"We can support any apps built for Android. We'll be launching with Twitch.TV and can't wait for more partners. If you have an Android app you'd like to see on OUYA, let us know" If the XBMC team gets XBMC to work on Android here would be a great low cost HTPC as well.

Last edited by Arinoth; July 11, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
Allstar

Does anyone see Apple coming out with something like this soon now?
Old July 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nope I don't see Apple doing this.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If Apple does they will quickly patent it, and complain bitterly that people keep stealing their IP.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
Top Prospect

I think they need to add some multimedia capability if they want to be more than a fringe player because that's the way it's trending. Look at Xbox and and PS. They are making their system to be a all in one entertainment centre.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheakamus View Post
I think they need to add some multimedia capability if they want to be more than a fringe player because that's the way it's trending. Look at Xbox and and PS. They are making their system to be a all in one entertainment centre.
I don't see that as a problem since it will be running Android and even if something isn't there, people will program something pretty quickly. You couldn't do that on a PS3/Xbox
Old July 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, the multimedia capability would be the one that's currently available from Google Play, as well as the hopes that XBMC will either be supported or launched with it (at least over at xbmc.org forums they are hoping the xbmc team can get involved).
Old July 12, 2012, 05:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like it's at almost 4 million dollars raised already, guess people do want a change from the mainstream console crap they are stuck with.
Old July 13, 2012, 03:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yeah, the multimedia capability would be the one that's currently available from Google Play, as well as the hopes that XBMC will either be supported or launched with it (at least over at xbmc.org forums they are hoping the xbmc team can get involved).
Well, I hope they do a good job of integrating the different functions. Enough to match xbox Smart Glass? I doubt it.