Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2012, 01:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Game Development summer practice. Your thoughts?

I've recently finished the first of a three year Game Development program at Durham College, and I decided to work on a project over the course of the summer to practice what I've learned.

The Project: A three part goal of combining a game level, weapon models, and a character model to create a de-facto conceptual representation of a game idea I've been working on. As a community seemingly of a variety of skill levels, it would make me very happy to have you tell me what you think, about what needs to be fixed, what looks like utter crap, and what looks good.

The Setting: In a future where androids are common and privatized, the worry of Accidental Artificial Intelligence has died down. However, old fears are rekindled as android's biggest manufacturer, SecTech, has their new prototype high-end model develop sentience and become self-aware. The player takes on the role of this android, Series 7 Prototype with the designated name "Hope."

--------

And so, let me show you the pieces of the project.

SecTech Handgun: First up was a weapon design. I decided a handgun as my first weapon project would be a good start, so I designed this 'SecTech Handgun.' The idea was to create a sleek ballistics-based handgun grounded in modern handgun visual asthetics. I present to you the SecTech Handgun:

Rotation video

After this, I set to work on the second part of the project, possibly the biggest. I designed a level; with more of a multiplayer frame of mind (as those are the type of map design I'd like to improve upon).

Kusanagi Park: Set in the ground floor of SecTech's company headquarters, this brightly-lit indoor park is open to company employees and the general public.

SecTech Security Responder: The next tier of the project is to model, rig, and partially animate my own custom character. This is the preliminary head model. It's ugly as fuark right now; the only thing I can see with my biased eyes is the seam. Any other suggestions?

----------------

Any comments and critiques are helpful, and much appreciated. I will update as I progress. I need to start animating my flythrough soon, so hopefully I'll have a playblast to share.

I'll update as I go along.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/

Last edited by Mr. Gruntsworthy; July 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old July 3, 2012, 08:22 PM
Rookie

looks good :D ---> me thinks the part in front of the trigger on the gun could be a knife for melee
Old July 3, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's looking good - I like the mix of "primary" colours used in the map/level.

From the looks of the map it looks like it's made for a "twitch" style shooter like the Unreal Tournament series.

I'd have to see the whole map, but the screens you placed so far have a lot of open space and little cover for a "realistic" shooter. Any "assault rifle" type weapon with effectiveness like the ones in Call of Duty would probably dominate that map without smoke grenades because there's little to stop players from eating a bunch of automatic fire trying to move around. On the same note, short-ranged weapons with low rate of fire (shotgun) won't be useful for much other than "backstabbing" if there's no tight corridor to favour their use.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

thanks fellas. It's definitely going to have a more arcadey feel to it. I haven't actually thought out the gameplay for the game idea yet, so I designed the map with a Halo frame of reference in mind.
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

Old July 4, 2012, 08:49 AM
Rookie

wow looks great....I am envious of people who can make mods, levels etc....I have downloaded many sdk's for games but the learning curve is quite steep(I know theres vids on youtube and sites etc,)but still complicated....and then theres the time required...If I could learn what you know I'd be really happy....now i'm interested in steam's "source filmmaker" looks simple enough....
cant wait to see more of your work....btw what programs are you using?

sincerely
mleunm

Last edited by mleunm; July 4, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old July 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleunm View Post
wow looks great....I am envious of people who can make mods, levels etc....I have downloaded many sdk's for games but the learning curve is quite steep(I know theres vids on youtube and sites etc,)but still complicated....and then theres the time required...If I could learn what you know I'd be really happy....now i'm interested in steam's "source filmmaker" looks simple enough....
cant wait to see more of your work....btw what programs are you using?

sincerely
mleunm
Maya 2011 and Photoshop CS3. Later on, everything will be strung together with Premiere.

Old July 4, 2012, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What game engine are you using? Or are you planning on making it from scratch? Cryengine3 is free for personal use if you want to cut some corners.
Old July 4, 2012, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow I sure wished I could do this sort of thing it looks good to me. I am also curious on the game engine
Old July 4, 2012, 10:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

This is not in a game engine. It's rendered right in Maya itself. While I am somewhat familiar with the Unreal engine thanks to school, I am unsure of how to section the level to bring it into UDK without crashing it.