Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 06:57 AM
Deeival's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cariboo, BC
Posts: 286
Default The Elder Scrolls Online

June Cover Revealed: The Elder Scrolls Online - Features - www.GameInformer.com

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 07:03 AM
Jebusman's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 358

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeival View Post
Fixed that for ya.

Seriously.

I'm 100% dead serious.

If there is anyone on this planet earth who thinks an Elder Scrolls MMO is a good idea, just leave. Get off this Earth. This is not your home. There is no place for you here.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 11:00 AM
Pabz0r545's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,308

My System Specs

Default

I've never played Skyrim because it is single player and single player is so 90's. I can't do it anymore. What is wrong with an MMO version of this?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 11:18 AM
Full Speed's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland
Posts: 813

My System Specs

Default

I'm down.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 11:19 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,211

My System Specs

Default

[youtube]I6m9-Dret0U[/youtube]

Is that the voice of Sir Ian McKellan?
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 11:20 AM
headsh0t's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,568

My System Specs

Default

As long as it's done right and doesn't try to emulate WoW so much I see no problem with a Elder Scrolls MMO. Although I thought they were gonna be doing Fallout Online. I guess they changed their minds and wen with TES instead? At least an apocalyptic MMO would be slightly more original than a fantasy MMO.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 12:02 PM
Jebusman's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 358

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
I've never played Skyrim because it is single player and single player is so 90's
I just want to begin this post by saying that what you said is quite possibly what is wrong with the gaming community today. I love online connectivity as much as the next guy, but piss off that single player was so 90s. Not everything needs to be an MMO, not everything needs 24/7 online, not everything has to be multiplayer focused. Every day that companies jump on the MMO bandwagon the bubble gets bigger. I'll have to thank you when it finally bursts.

(If the TORtanic hasn't already done that).

Quote:
What is wrong with an MMO version of this?
Aside from the huge gamble of trying to release a traditional (and generic) fantasy MMORPG in this day and age on nothing but the strength of it's name (given that this is the team's first MMO), on principle TES was one of the better single player focused series out there. This is not them attempting to evolve the series in a new direction. This is them wanting a piece of that WoW pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
As long as it's done right and doesn't try to emulate WoW so much I see no problem with a Elder Scrolls MMO. Although I thought they were gonna be doing Fallout Online. I guess they changed their minds and wen with TES instead? At least an apocalyptic MMO would be slightly more original than a fantasy MMO.
TES Online isn't being developed by Bethesda, it's by another inhouse studio called Zenimax Online Studios. It headed by a former dude from Mythic. This is their first MMO.

And you can sure as hell bet it's going to emulate WoW in every way possible. As long as they're upfront about it, that won't affect it. But if they try to prove how different from WoW they are (aka, The Old Republic route), it'll come back to bite them.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 12:45 PM
Pabz0r545's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,308

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
I just want to begin this post by saying that what you said is quite possibly what is wrong with the gaming community today. I love online connectivity as much as the next guy, but piss off that single player was so 90s. Not everything needs to be an MMO, not everything needs 24/7 online, not everything has to be multiplayer focused. Every day that companies jump on the MMO bandwagon the bubble gets bigger. I'll have to thank you when it finally bursts.
If you think multiplayer and competition is a bad thing then that is exactly what is wrong. Multiplayer is the healthiest thing for a gaming community and esports. Fact of the matter is I don't get any enjoyment of playing a single player game interacting with some shitty AI. I have been gaming since I was 4. It has been a huge part of my life. I feel like I played em all been there done that(80s, 90s, 2k's). It's the same shit recycled and remade just like music and movies. So the only thing that games really have to offer [me] these days is competition, hence the need for multiplayer. Be it street fighter, or starcraft 2 or battlefield 3. None of these are fun to play against AI.

and just fyi I don't play MMO's and I haven't played any for a long time. Obviously because they are all shit. I played WOW for approximately 1 year from the release date and quickly got bored..... long before I quit. So don't assume I am some kind of MMO fanboy. I definitely would be interested checking this out though seeing how big TES series is and the fact that it offers multiplayer.

You can thank me when a real sandbox hardcore MMO becomes popular actually. I am the 1% or less(actually way less) of gamers that played hardcore games like Ultima Online in 98-99 AND STILL WANT TO PLAY IT, having supported and played Darkfail Online and Mortal Online. Real MMO's where you have choices and freedom and consequences. Sadly all these games failed in one way or another, just like your post.

Sounds like you got a serious case of nerd rage there Jebus telling me to piss off over saying that single player is played out. I guess maybe you are far inferior to these shitty AI's and they still pose a challenge to you. Keep on trying buddy, you'll beat (insert game on hardest setting here) eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 4, 2012, 01:03 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Acton, Ont
Posts: 878
Default

If done right, Im down, Would be nice to invite people over to see my House, And smith shop.

Swingers partys??? Can i get a ^5
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 5, 2012, 06:08 AM
Jebusman's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 358

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
If you think multiplayer and competition is a bad thing then that is exactly what is wrong.
Yes, because that is exactly what I said. No, I said EVERYTHING doesn't have to be multiplayer. EVERYTHING. When did I say multiplayer and competition is a bad thing? I'm a regular SC2/LoL/DOTA2/Street Fighter player, and those wouldn't be alive without multiplayer. Thank you for starting off your argument with misquoting me. I appreciate it. Really makes me value your opinion. Those strawman arguments are getting real popular nowadays.

Quote:
Fact of the matter is I don't get any enjoyment of playing a single player game interacting with some shitty AI
How about you stop playing single player games with shitty AI? Just a thought.

Quote:
It's the same shit recycled and remade just like music and movies.
Because the entirety of the COD series from 4 onwards isn't the same shit recycled. Because MMOs don't come and go with the same shit day after day, year after year (and more than likely, TES Online will as well) Seriously.

Quote:
You can thank me when a real sandbox hardcore MMO becomes popular actually
I'll welcome that day as well. But I'm telling you, it's not going to be TES Online.

Quote:
Sounds like you got a serious case of nerd rage there Jebus telling me to piss off over saying that single player is played out. I guess maybe you are far inferior to these shitty AI's and they still pose a challenge to you. Keep on trying buddy, you'll beat (insert game on hardest setting here) eventually.
Attacks on my character? For shame.

I didn't realize "piss off" was the equivalent of telling you to go **** yourself. Next time I'll choose my words more carefully.

Multiplayer has it's place in gaming, as does single player. Saying one or the other needs to go is a retarded idea. But not EVERY SINGLE FRANCHISE needs to become an MMO. Not EVERY SINGLE FRANCHISE has to have a multiplayer component. I never said there should never be any multiplayer or MMOs. The world isn't that black and white as you apparently want it to be.

So how about next time, you actually read my post before you attack me. I would've loved if you actually genuinely argued with me, not attack my character and my post with a misquoted statement.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim lowfat Gaming 635 April 12, 2014 09:04 PM
Film : Skyrim DESTINIES - A fan's tribute to the Elder Scrolls XavSNT Gaming 0 February 23, 2012 03:02 AM
General "Elder Scrolls" question rjbarker Gaming 17 November 23, 2011 10:47 AM
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim TimTheEnchanter Gaming 12 January 29, 2011 09:25 AM