Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default In Need Of Something New

im in a bit of a single player rut right now needs something new to play.any idea anyone. i am a bit of a fps and racing whore lol but i like a good action adventure game along the lines of tomb raider something like that. anyone have any ideas. plz help me im bored lol
Old April 2, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just bought Gears of War at FS for $25. But damn if I can get the damn thing to run properly. Stalker is nice and cheap at $20. If you like Tomb Raider, Legend and Anniversary are both quite good (and cheap too). Can you tell I'm cheap? What else...

There are about 1 million HL2 mods out there. Some of the better ones I have played:
Minerva
Rock 24
Riot Act
Cine Mod for HL2, Ep1, Ep2

Hmmm what else.... after another member did it I reinstalled Far Cry with the HDR patch and it looks sweet!

What else do you like or have already played?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i got all the tomb raider series. and stalker. gears of war sounds good will prolly try that. i have farcry as well but never tried the hdr patch maybe i should. its hard to find new stuff cause i do have over 120 games on pc lol. gotta love torrent lol
Old April 2, 2008, 04:41 PM
Allstar

Try Mount&Blade: Mount&Blade

It's from an independent developer in Turkey. Started out 3/4 years ago as a husband/wife duo. They released the game while in development and charged a nominal fee to support ongoing development (I paid only $12) and increased the price as it developed. I picked it up when it was v0.6xx and it's now v0.903. The final version will be released sometime later this year, and development on the sequel will commence. They now have a small development team of 5-6, and even hired one of the modders.

It's a single-player action game unlike anything out there. As the name suggests, it's a medieval combat game with mounted combat. You can raise and command armies, raid villages, lay siege to castles and cities, all from a 1st/3rd person perspective. And it's all as realistic as possible. No potions and healing spells and the like (although it's moddable so that you can have those in a user made mod).

It's also incredibly moddable with lots of unique mods. Check out the Lord of the Rings mod (The Last Days)and Japanese Onin War mod (Onin No Ran). Pretty incredible for a game to have a vast modding community before it's even in stores! Just check out their mods forum: The Pioneer's Guild - Mods

Plus the demo is free to download and I dare you to play the demo and not love it. The day I downloaded the demo, as soon as I reached the character limit I ran to get my wallet, and then pulled an all-night gaming binge.

Pick it up now and you'll get the full version at no extra cost when it's out, and you'll save money because the full version will mean another price increase.

The graphics aren't the best right now and are mostly placeholders, but there are high quality texture and model replacement packs and mods that change the look drastically. The moddability is the key, so many free user made mods, and you just drag and drop to a modules folder to install. When you run the game it'll ask you which data folder you want to use.

Here are some screens:

from the new legions mod (based on Rome:Total War), seleucid phalanx vs roman legionaries:

Riders of Rohan in the lord of the rings mod:

Holy war mod (crusades, not yet released):

Curtain of Fire (if you like fireballs and such, note the airborne horse):

Fantasy Mod (ever wanted to ride a tiger? here's an orc riding one):

And many more! Try it and you won't regret it. I love this game so much I take every chance to pimp it
Old April 2, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
note the airborne horse
Fetche la Vache!!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old April 2, 2008, 06:07 PM
Allstar

play warcraft 3 frozen throne. i get a good kick humiliating my opponents with some tower rushes :D.
Old April 3, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i tired mount and blade but couldn't get into not my style of game and as far as warcraft goes u couldn't pay me enough to start playin that again lol
Old April 3, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac79 View Post
i got all the tomb raider series. and stalker. gears of war sounds good will prolly try that. i have farcry as well but never tried the hdr patch maybe i should. its hard to find new stuff cause i do have over 120 games on pc lol. gotta love torrent lol

Hm, before you get Gears read this...

Getting Gears PC to work... - Epic Games Forums

I can't believe getting a "Games For Windows" game to run on Windows is worse than getting the Office suite run on Linux or OS X to run on a PC. My copy is craptacular and I don't have the time right now to bother so Gears is going on the shelf. Glad I only paid $25 and not $50.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 3, 2008, 02:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My wife is addicted to Oblivion and the graphics are really phenomenol. many different mods and command console options as well as being an open environment rpg where everything is doable
Old April 3, 2008, 11:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you dont mind something of a bit of a grander scale, flight simulator X is really nice, it models flight dynamics, the entire earth in pretty good detail and its massivly upgradable... you can spend years exploring the entire planet from the air... i've been playing fsx about every other day since it came out. It takes a pretty ballsy computer to run it though. Its playable with a mouse and keyboard but if you really want to get into it you should get a flight stick controller.

If you want a game that can take up massive amounts of your time in what seems like seconds lol fsx is it dude. remember that it "is" a simulator, not a "game"... there are quite a few pre made missions and lots of user made missions, but the core of the game is free flight.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0